GPS (only) recommendation for inland lake?

scorow

Recruit
I'm looking for a mountable GPS-only device for use on an inland lake. My boat has a built-in depth sounder, so don't really need the combo units that are available. I really just want a GPS device with a decent screen size upon which I can load the lakes I may access. Would prefer a mountable unit as opposed to a handheld device.

Any suggestions?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
In all depends on your budget. I haven't had any serious issues with my Hummingbird or Garmin. Today it looks like most electronics are disposable as the prices drop every year. The first laptop I had was over $3000.00 and today a good unit is $500.00.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome to iboats,

Do you have a budget in mind?

We're thinking alike, Iron. LOL

Last edited:

scorow

Recruit
Budget? As Little as possible, I suppose. There just don't seem to be many GPS-only options. I can use the Navionics app on my smartphone, but would really like a larger screen. It's more convenience than necessity; as I said, I'm on an inland lake, so navigation is not a critical issue,

Drew220

Seaman Apprentice
There is not really any cheap GPS only units out there.

You could try a low priced android tablet that has GPS built in. Tether your phone to it if you need data for the navionic maps.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You can get a combo (GPS FF) unit for around $100.00, as the screen size goes up so does the price. You don't need to hunt down a GPS only unit, just don't use the fish finder on it.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
I looked into that my self, several of the garmin car units will take lake and river maps

jforrest1

Seaman
I'm on a lake in Maine and recently purchased the Garmin 73DV EchoMAP Chirp. It does come with a base transducer and the unit was just north of $600. It has the Lakeview HD maps installed. It claims over 17,000 lake maps and 13,000 are HD and give 1' contours. You can look up your lake to see if it is one of the maps with more detail. My lake was mapped recently so the detail is up to date, which is one of the reasons why I went with it. The unit has a lot of options and might be overkill for what you want. I've attached a pic of the detail.

Attachments

• IMG_0991.jpg
    IMG_0991.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 0

Alumarine

Captain
As others have said it may be easier to find a combo unit and maybe cheaper.
As jforrest did you can get a pretty good deal sometimes on one bundled with a map chip.

shrew

Lieutenant
Just because it has other options like Radar and Sonar doesn't mean you have to hook them up. GPS Only is limiting and they don't sell well. Having a separate GPS, Radar, and Fish Finder display can get crowded on small helm stations. Plus it's kind of 'old school' looking.

RGrew176

Commander
I bought a combo unit. I am only going to use it as a GPS. I got a Garmiin 94dv. I just love the 9" screen and the detailing of the charts is wonderful.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Cheap android tablet with navionics. Can be had for less than 50$

Use a sunction mount to windshield to mount it.

Last edited:

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am following along with the same question.
I want a great moving map display GPS, without spending half of the cost on transducers, CHIRP royalties, split screens, etc. I just want a map.

Alumarine

Captain
The android tablets and ipad's along with smartphones loaded up with navigating software all work very well and I use them,
But, I use them in addition to my marine GPS combo unit.

The marine unit is hard wired so it always has juice, I can read it in sunlight and it's waterproof. It just plain works.

I do bring my smartphone with navionics on other boats that don't have gps and am always glad I do.

southkogs

Staff member
I've been using the Navionics App on my iPhone for a couple of years now. On the inland lakes I normally go on, I don't need it all that much so I don't use a lot of battery. When I used it on the ICW in Florida last year, I could chew up a battery in a couple of hours as I used it to find my way along the routes I was unfamiliar with.

I have a portable charger if I were to do that again, but like I said, here at home I can just turn it on in bursts.

savetexomabeaches

Chief Petty Officer
I have a garmin 255w and loaded a topo map of my area on it and use it when I'm out on the lake. entire thing cost me around 30.00