wet carpet

diungerich

Seaman Apprentice
Boat has snap-in carpet. No issues with it. I'm keeping it in a slip now, though. Yesterday got caught in the rain before I could make it back, so of course carpet was soaked. Was supposed to rain more last night, and though I'm in a covered slip, I covered it as I always do when leaving. Cover has the breathers on it, but of course, the carpet was still wet today. What I'm wondering, is for you guys in a similar situation, how do you generally handle things to avoid getting a musty/moldy situation going. I'm really not fired up about trying to pull and hang the carpet very often.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
You will have to let the air get at it, or pull them out. Go for a good run on a sunny day. Nice barge by the way.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Yup -- as soon as the sun is out, pull the cover and let "Mr. Sunshine" take care of drying duties. If you remove the carpet wet it may shrink a bit when dry. Then what???

Last edited:

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
If it's snap in marine carpet, pull it and let it dry to about 80-90%. Then reinstall. No big deal. It will draw up a little, but it should have a white or gray/black backing which is rubberized, allowing it to stretch. If hung up or draped over a bow rail, it should be near dry in about 30 min. Marine carpet should be mildew resistant anyway.

Last edited: