Fuel cap

Randy1957

Recruit
Hi, I just bought a used 2007 Monterey 234 FSX. I never asked how to open fuel cap. Center logo pulls up, but doesn't seem to pop open. Any ideas? Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Going to need a pic to see what your looking at. Use something like photobucket

alldodge

Staff member
I'll do some looking but that looks like it should unscrew. Probably lift the center, then grab the outside and turn to the left (counter clockwise)

alldodge

Staff member
I think I just found it, its a locking gas cap, going to need a key
key.jpg

Randy1957

Recruit
Just took another picture. Not locking. If a twist off, better man than me. I can't budge. Don't want to take a grip wrench unless I am sure. Hmmm image15.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Just took another picture. Not locking. If a twist off, better man than me. I can't budge. Don't want to take a grip wrench unless I am sure. Hmmm

I cannot say with 100% accuracy, but all the ones I found like that are either locking or non-locking and all unscrew. The locking ones just keep spinning until key is turned.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
Can you push down on it at all to release any tension then rotate? Try covering the tab with something soft and applying some leverage from pliers or vice grip. Just exert a little force

alldodge

Staff member
If it turns out to be threads (I think it is) get a chap stick and use the wax on the threads. Every so often use it to lube the threads

Randy1957

Recruit
It is a threaded gas cap. Used a wrench to start the spin. Was on very tight. Didn't want to break anything. Thanks for all the help