Fuel Tank Ideas

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
My boat is a small 15' speedboat. It has a very old fuel line and gas tank. So I figured this year I'd get a new line and a new tank. And since I'm doing that, I might as well get a bigger tank!

Below is a picture of the back of my boat, underneath the splashwell. The red box is where my 6.5 gallon tank fits pretty nicely.
The green box is where I want to stick a 24" x 18" x 11" 12-gallon tank. My boat is tiny, I could be out all day on a tank that big!

As you can see from the photo, the bottom "tip" of the splash well looks like it's going to interfere pretty solidly with a low-profile 12 gallon tank. I may take the boat to west marine and test fit one to see once the trailer is ready to go. But I'm wondering if anyone has any other thoughts? I could have the fiberglass modified but that seems like too much work/too big an expense for this. Worst case, I just end up with a new 6 gallon tank, but I'd like more!

Attachments

• photo244937.jpg
    photo244937.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 0

l008com

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I just found a super low height 14 gallon tank. I'm not going to go this route, but it's short enough to fit under the splash well, but it would take up pretty much the whole "underneath" area. But I could in theory relocate my battery to the very bow of the boat, which might also help me plane out a little faster and drive a little more level. But I don't want my battery bouncing like that, and I don't want this big of a project, work and money wise. An interesting idea though. I'll think about it for my next boat :D

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I'd move the battery to the front. Do the fuel tank, you wont regret it