Boats going on a mooring for a week, questions

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
Going to be renting a house for a week on the bay in CT for a week......boats never been in water for more than a day.

Just a few questions, should I do anything different? Going to have the outdrive down while parked.

Should I just tie off one rope from the hook on the bow that I hook the trailer strap to? If so, how many feet is usually a good amount ? Don't want to little or not enough. Any tips would be great. Thanks!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Are you keeping the boat in the water the whole time? Tied to a dock or a mooring? Pulled up on the beach?

tpenfield

Staff member
It sort of depends if it is your mooring or one that is provided . . . and what the mooring has.

Most folks use the bow cleats rather than the bow eye to tie to the mooring pendant, but either way is fine, just matter of what is going to be easier.

If you have to provide your own pendant, then you will want to make sure you have the proper rigging, etc. Google yourself some info in mooring setups and that should guide you.

Here is a picture of my boat on its mooring. As you can see the pendants (2 since it is a larger boat) are not very long, I would say about 8 feet, and they are cleated up on the deck.
shapeimage_1.png

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Expect your hull to pick up some slime, amount depends on the water. Slime cuts into your mph fast. What I used to do on vacation after about 3 days in fairly clear water was to get a big sponge and pull the boat up in shallow water and give the hull a good scrubbing, just using the lake water it's (and I'm) sitting in.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the advice Ted, The boat will go in the water Saturday and come out the next Saturday......I expect slime, blood from fish, worms spilled drinks etc in the boat......LOL

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the advice Ted, The boat will go in the water Saturday and come out the next Saturday......I expect slime, blood from fish, worms spilled drinks etc in the boat......LOL

Not in the boat, on the outside of the hull that remains in the water for that period of time. Obviously the inside will show signs of use.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
One week is nothing! Don't worry about it until you pull the boat. I own a house on a lake and put my boat in up to 2 weeks at a time. Most I get is a water line but it depends on the lake. Since you will be using the boat daily, I would imagine, the build up will be minimal.