2016 Crestliner Discovery 1650

fisherman1818

Recruit
Anyone else have these problems?

I purchased a 2016 Crestliner Discovery April 2016. After the first 30 minutes of use I had to run the bilge pump for several minutes. I did use the livewell. I went to the dealer when they were repairing it and someone at the factory had drilled a pilot hole through the livewell fill tube. The livewell overflow also would not drain. The dealer found that the overflow drain tube was pinched in 1/2. Also found were pre-drilled pilot holes for rivets without the rivets. The in-deck rod storage lock did not work, the dealer had to cut the slot with a saw to make the lock work. The prop on the Mercury Outboard had about 3/8" of play on the shaft. Has anyone else had any of these problems or did I just pick the wrong color boat that day?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The speedo tube was kinked so it didn't work. I pulled it thru and replaced it with a new one - less trouble than having the dealer do it.

The water pump impeller was installed incorrectly my Mercruiser, resulting in water being pumped into the lower unit lube. That was noticed when winterizing it - covered under warranty. An electrical problem burned out the starter and alternator. More warranty. All Mercruiser issues with the original build, not the install.

All that was during the first year. The boat has been running like a top with no further issues for 32 years now.

All other boats, motors, trailers never had a problem.

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
Things like that can happen with any boat manufacturer. Just a pita to bring it in. Hopefully you're dealership gets on it ASAP and works with you for a fix. Problem areas I've noticed are usually gauges, locks/latches.

roffey

Commander
I had issues with the boat and the dealer when I first purchased my boat, all fixed now so to be fair to the dealer I will not go into it here, LOL. I have a mechanic friend who once said there are no lemons, just cars that have not been fixed "properly", I believe this to be a true statement.

fisherman1818

Recruit
I did use the livewell the past couple days and it did not leak, Although the plug for the boat did brake good thing I purchased a spare.I do not agree with the way the livewell was repaired, I guess the dealer did the bast they can. When a gasket is in place to stop water, I do not believe caulk should be used to fill the void.This is my first new boat and it does not feel good to have lost confidence in the boat during the first month of use.I guess it is just a game of waiting to see what goes wrong next. The dealer told me, if I was not satisfied with the repair (second time) we could talk about another boat or getting my money back.I then told the dealer I wanted my money back, He sent me an E-mail telling me that all correspondence and repair orders will be sent to the manufacturer. The manufacturer replied with: We have confidence in the dealer please work with them.

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We're talking with boats here. I've pretty much come to believe that no matter how right everything seems, something is going to break and things are going to break often. I bought my boat in December (used) and just got it on the lake for the first time Saturday. Fired right up even though it hadn't been run since being winterized (I couldn't do it at my apartment or storage place) and then ran perfectly all day. I was on cloud nine and then on the way back to the dock at the end of the day... lost all electrical power. It was as if somebody pulled the batteries out and tossed them overboard. Thankfully my dad is a mechanic and we went back the next day with a test light and had the problem fixed in 20 minutes. It was just a bad connection under the hatch. Everything worked beautifully all day yesterday again.

Even though my boat is 12 years old, the guy I bought it from basically rebuilt it from the hull up. He replaced the motor (14.6 hours on it when I bought it) and put in a brand new interior and stereo as well as rewired the entire thing since the first owner let it sit after the block cracked. Since the boat is wood free construction there isn't too much else to replace.

The Navy has sea-trials on their new ships or when coming out of the shipyard. Hopefully your sea trials will work out any bugs quickly and your boat will be a fast runner.

fisherman1818

Recruit
You are lucky your dad is a mechanic. Dads are always good to have around. I am also a mechanic and I have saved alot of money over the years. This new stuff is hard to work on without a computer. I almost purchased a boat from the 60's or 70's to re-power. I was hoping to get a couple problem free seasons out of a new boat. Sounds like you got a good deal on your boat.