Best product to waterproof mooring cover

Old Ironmaker

Captain
After giving my mooring cover a good scrub today it is definitely in need of a good waterproofing. It's wet below almost immediately. It's older, 21 years and it is either Sunbrella or Top Gun, I can't remember which but it's in great shape otherwise. I gave it a good spray of Scotch Guard a few seasons ago. It took around 6 cans and that was not cheap. Well over $100.00. I can get a new Top Gun cover for $700.00. I am in Canada and whatever it costs in the US the rule of thumb is double it here.

What do you good folks recommend?

Last edited:

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
You could buy a gallon of Starbrite waterproofing from iBoats here and that should do what your need. It might be worth putting your cover through an industrial size washing machine first. Some laundromats have large enough ones. Dirt and fabric softeners often prevent waterproofing from being effective.
For a new cover, I've had the best luck with Sunbrella. There is good company in Saskatoon that has been making covers for years, but I can't remember the name just now.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
You could buy a gallon of Starbrite waterproofing from iBoats here and that should do what your need. It might be worth putting your cover through an industrial size washing machine first. Some laundromats have large enough ones. Dirt and fabric softeners often prevent waterproofing from being effective.
For a new cover, I've had the best luck with Sunbrella. There is good company in Saskatoon that has been making covers for years, but I can't remember the name just now.

Thanks for the quick reply. My wife didn't think it will fit in the Industrial sized machine in town. I am going to bring it there and ask them if it will fit. I can get a Top Gun or Sunbrella top custom made here for $700.00 CDN. I'm thinking maybe that's the answer if it was in the budget. BOAT, a thousand is an understatement.

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
Hi everyone!

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Old Ironmaker, whenever you are thinking about waterproofing your cover you need to be sure that it is residue free before you start the treatment process. A lot of people don't know that some soaps and detergents can leave a residue behind even after the cover has been rinsed. When you try to waterproof a material that is coated by a residue the waterproofing agent won't stick to the item you are trying to protect, it will stick to the residue and wear off more quickly. Look to make sure that the cleaning agents you're using are marked as "Residue-free" to be sure that you don't have to reapply more than you should have to![/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Our 303? Multi-Surface Cleaner is a great example of a residue-free cleaner. It is safe to use on most everyday surfaces and can power through even the most stubborn stains. We usually recommend that people use the Multi-Surface Cleaner before applying our 303? Fabric Guard. It keeps fabrics fresh, soft, colorful and breathable all while adding a powerful coating to repel water and prevent the most serious of stains. Use it to keep rugs clean, leather interiors fresh and covers blemish-free. This product is also recommended by and for Sunbrella materials.

If you are interested in trying any of our products please let us know either in this thread or by PM'ing us and we can set you up with enough product to treat your cover. All we ask is that you give an honest review of the products within 30 days of receiving them.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
[/FONT]

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Don't know if this is "the best", but it works, and 6 cans will set you back only $35 at Walmart. Sunbrella 'doesn't recommend' silicone spray, but I've been using it on Sunbrella for years, and I've found no ill effects from using it.

siliconewaterguard.jpg

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Hi everyone!

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Old Ironmaker, whenever you are thinking about waterproofing your cover you need to be sure that it is residue free before you start the treatment process. A lot of people don't know that some soaps and detergents can leave a residue behind even after the cover has been rinsed. When you try to waterproof a material that is coated by a residue the waterproofing agent won't stick to the item you are trying to protect, it will stick to the residue and wear off more quickly. Look to make sure that the cleaning agents you're using are marked as "Residue-free" to be sure that you don't have to reapply more than you should have to![/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Our 303? Multi-Surface Cleaner is a great example of a residue-free cleaner. It is safe to use on most everyday surfaces and can power through even the most stubborn stains. We usually recommend that people use the Multi-Surface Cleaner before applying our 303? Fabric Guard. It keeps fabrics fresh, soft, colorful and breathable all while adding a powerful coating to repel water and prevent the most serious of stains. Use it to keep rugs clean, leather interiors fresh and covers blemish-free. This product is also recommended by and for Sunbrella materials.

If you are interested in trying any of our products please let us know either in this thread or by PM'ing us and we can set you up with enough product to treat your cover. All we ask is that you give an honest review of the products within 30 days of receiving them.

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
[/FONT]

i second this, i have been using this product to refresh mine for 6 years now, it works

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Hi everyone!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
[/FONT]

I've used 303 Fabric Guard several times and it work REALLY well. Get the gallon jug; it's much more economical that way.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Thank you for the offer of the 303. It has been recommended by others on a Canadian Fishing Forum. I know I need to get it very clean and remove all residue to do it justice. I look forward to giving it a shot when it arrives.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Hi everyone!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
[/FONT]

A UPS truck pulled up an hour ago. Behold a box jammed packed with 3 litres of 303 Multi Surface Cleaner and 4 litres of Fabric Guard mailed from Chicago. To say I am impressed is an understatement. Not many times these days does someone tell you they are going to give you something at "No charge" and it is exactly that. No brokerage fees, shipping cost, no charge. Well my faith in good business practice has been restored. I know what I will be doing this weekend instead of fishing.

As promised on my part I will apply the product as directed and give it a honest review. It's the least I can do. It hasn't rained but once here in weeks but that I can't complain about. I can give it a good douse from the hose to test it once dry but I am sure Mother Nature will co operate.

Thank you so much Mr. or Ms. Go Eagle Co. Please PM with your name unless that's what your parents decided that's the name you were going to have from birth.

I am impressed indeed. Now to get to cleaning that cover.

jforrest1

Seaman
Hi everyone!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
[/FONT]

That is a most generous offer. Kudos to Gold Eagle!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Hi everyone!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!
[/FONT]

Well I am done cleaning with the 303 Surface Cleaner and applying 303 Fabric Guard it and it looks like it's a done deal. Please see my new thread reviewing the products.

Johnny D