Using existing live well plumbing to supply home made bait tank..Possible?

Stripernewb

Cadet
I have a 1986 Alumacraft Super Bandit that I use to striper fist below KY and Barkley dam. I have been using a homemade shad tank sitting on the back deck with a bilge pump hanging down in the water for its continuous supply. It works great but I want to put it down in the floor of the boat. I don't use a live-well, ever. I put what I will eat on ice and release everything else....so, rather than drilling new holes or running tubing along the side, has anyone ever used the live-well plumbing for an add-on bait well? Appreciate any feedback

roffey

Commander
Keep in mind I am not a fisherman, but if your not using the live well for the fish you caught why not use it as a bate well just as it is?

Stripernewb

Cadet
Sounds reasonable but shad refuse to live in any container that has a corner. They gang up in the corners and die very quickly. Even if you try to use them in the 30 minutes that they DO live, their noses get red after about 3-5 min and a striper will take a rednosed bait.....they want a perfect shad. Shad have to have a round tank and constant current to swim against to stay happy.

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
yes i keep a small amount shad on my pontoon during striper season my self in a small square tank but i made a felex liner that turns it round out of a blue plastic barrel, i just roll it up and put in the tank and no corners, iv kept shad up to 8 hours , i also add a small amount of rock salt, and add fresh water ever hour

I dont see why you cant adapt it its all common pluming fittings

Last edited: