Having fun with the 2100 lsr and a drone

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took the boat out this weekend for some fun in the sun and bbq. My buddy brought his drone out and took a few videos.

Sorry for the crappy YouTube quality video..
I don't know how to post Hd videos on YouTube.... Any help?

southkogs

Staff member
Cool! I've been thinking about doing this for the fun of the video ... but I'm terrified of a water landing for the $700 bird.

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Cool! I've been thinking about doing this for the fun of the video ... but I'm terrified of a water landing for the $700 bird.

Thanks guys.
It was fun taking the boat out.
We BBQ'ed and pulled a few tubers that day.

It is a little scary flying the "bird" over the water but i have insurance on it and as long as i can retrieve it they will replace.
I installed some foam so it would float. (I hope) in case it does fall.

roffey

Commander
question for you, how fast can the drone fly. I suspect your boat is 45-50 ish, can the drone keep up?

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class
question for you, how fast can the drone fly. I suspect your boat is 45-50 ish, can the drone keep up?

The drone was going about 35 mph.
I was following along with it at MAX speed and clocked it @ 35 mph on GPS..

I had to slow down because the reception was "low" on the bird and did'nt want it to lose connection.

roffey

Commander
I've thought about a drone to take pictures of the boat but not sure I could "float" the idea past my wife.

southkogs

Staff member
I get nervous just flying my PBY Catalina over water...
If you seriously have one of those ... :cool:

What drone are you flying'? 35MPH is pretty impressive. I've been monkeying with the DJI Phantom 3 and haven't thought I was doing any better than 20 with it.

jforrest1

Seaman
Not being familiar with this...but is there a camera feed back to the control box? Just wondering how you keep the boat in the frame.

shrew

Lieutenant
There used to be a niche business where helicoptor pilots would get paid to take such aerial shots of boats, and land, etc. Interesting that the drone business has all but destroyed that revenue stream for those folks.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
There used to be a niche business where helicoptor pilots would get paid to take such aerial shots of boats, and land, etc. Interesting that the drone business has all but destroyed that revenue stream for those folks.

The guys that used to make wagon wheels said the same thing! :rolleyes:

At the same time, the business opportunities for drones is growing incredibly quick, and that is with the FAA lagging years behind every other country. The proposed 107 rules will make things much easier and you can expect to see the market REALLY explode!

(also, as of now you still need a pilot flying the drone if you are doing anything commercial in any way, so there is still a market for their skills. The 107 rules do away with that though.)

Last edited:

roffey

Commander
Did not know you needed a special permit, licence to fly a drone in Canada. I checked around and found this.....

"To use your UAV for any form of work or research, you are legally required to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC). This applies to all UAVs used for anything but the fun of flying and regardless of how much they weigh. Transport Canada inspectors will review your SFOC application and determine what safety conditions are needed to reduce the risks. "

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Not being familiar with this...but is there a camera feed back to the control box? Just wondering how you keep the boat in the frame.

You can attach your iPad (or the mini) / tablet to the control box with most the drones that are out today.

If you seriously have one of those ... :cool:

What drone are you flying'? 35 MPH is pretty impressive. I've been monkeying with the DJI Phantom 3 and haven't thought I was doing any better than 20 with it.

I have the P-4 and it's suppose to be able to hit 45 MPH max speed..The 3 is marketed to Max @ 35 MPH

Wind direction and speed definitely plays a big roll in speed.

southkogs

Staff member
.The 3 is marketed to Max @ 35 MPH
My telemetry data hasn't gotten close to that. My best has been just under 20 ... with a tail wind.

That 4 is supposed to be pretty cool. Are you using DJI go as your driver APP? Was it able to see the boat as a trackable object in the viewer, or did you just leash it to the controller?

Wind direction and speed definitely plays a big roll in speed.
No kidding ... beats the dickens outta' batter life.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Did not know you needed a special permit, licence to fly a drone in Canada. I checked around and found this.....

"To use your UAV for any form of work or research, you are legally required to apply for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC). This applies to all UAVs used for anything but the fun of flying and regardless of how much they weigh. Transport Canada inspectors will review your SFOC application and determine what safety conditions are needed to reduce the risks. "

Only need that for commercial work... From what I hear that is still far better than our 333 exemption at least!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

https://www.boatpix.com/

They've shot two of my boats over the years. Have a great pic of my Carver in action taken last Father's Day. See them flying around often in my waters. Wave 'em down and they buzz you and take the shots. Not only that, but they airbrush out the scum line and any junk hanging off the boat, like the dockline you forgot to secure....

Last edited: