1988 Wellcraft 34' Gran Sport Express

boat1148

Recruit
Buying a 1988 Wellcraft GSE 34'. I have two questions. Does any one know the air draft of this craft and second,can anyone tell me how to find out the original GPS Transducer that has been installed. Currently hooked up to a GPS 182 plotter

roffey

Commander
not sure I can help a lot here but what is the air draft of a boat, the part of the boat above water? The transducer would be a aftermarket install, right? I looked up the GPS 182 plotter and it looks to come with an antenna, no transducer? Could that be right, it just tracks your location and water depth would be separate? Does not make sense to me but I don't know chart plotters.

Oh and welcome aboard, someone with more useful information will be along shortly.

Last edited:

boat1148

Recruit
Roffey, Thank you for your quick reply to this novice boat owner. I did know the definition of air draft, I was wondering what the air draft is for the Wellcraft 34' gran sport express cruiser. I have looked for these specs and or owners manual on line and have not been able to find it. The craft I'm buying is quite a ways away so am not able to measure myself. Just wondered so that I would be able to determine if I could pass under bridges or need them open. I just thought someone out there may have the specs for this boat.
Since its an inboard I can not use a transom mounted transducer supplied with the new Garmin Chartplotter. I was hoping the installed through hull transducer would work, I did not know the GPS 182 did not require one. It's all knew to me. Any way thanks for the reply.

roffey

Commander
As I mentioned there will be more knowledgeable boaters along who can assist you.

Are you going to pick up the boat and drive it back home? That is a big boat, 34 feet. Good luck and I hope an uneventful trip. Will you be bringing along experienced help with you?

boat1148

Recruit
Roffey, Hopefully we will be performing sea trials on June 10th and if everything is OK a ten hour cruise home. May anchor off somewhere and spend one night out at sea. I have a freind who is a captain and he will be assisting us and teaching us along the way. Thanks for asking,I know it would be to much for me at first.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Best of luck with the boat. Honestly, I've never heard of the height above the waterline referred to as 'air draft.' The specs on every boat I've seen, including my own, refer to that height as 'bridge clearance', i.e. the minimum height of a bridge that you can fit under. Mine is 12' with the flybridge (with VHF antenna down).

My .02