Hoping I didn't royally screw my Plexi windshield..

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I used a bottle of RainEX 2-in-1 cleaner & repellent on the boat windshield last night, and it wasn't until I was 3/4 done when I stopped to think:

"hmm, the bottle specifically says "FOR USE ON AUTOMOTIVE GLASS" and this is neither glass, nor automotive..."

Does anyone have any experience with this product on marine PLEXI, or any input on whether or not this could ruin the windshield? If it will, do I have any chance of saving it by washing or treating it with something, or can I only sit back and wait for it to cloud / crack at this point?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
In the Rain-X FAQ's, they not to use it on plastics. Will it harm the Plexi - no idea. Their X-Treme Clean is for glass or plastic, so maybe you can use that to remove the old stuff. Rain-X does make a plastic repellent.

Hope it turns out OK, ghost.

shrew

Lieutenant
Are you sure your 1994 Larson Cabrio 280 has a plexi windshield? Did you replace it? That would be very unusual.

leftyfrazel

Cadet
Yes Rain X can and will eventually yellow and crack plexi, as well as Lexan... Motorcyclist have found this out the hard way.. however Rain X does now make
a cleaner for Plastic- Plexi- Lexan... because there was a big market for it.

KnotConnected

Petty Officer 1st Class
Shrew, nope, I'm not sure at all. I only assumed. What would it be made out of?

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
There's no "marine grade" plexi.

"plexi" or plexiglass, Lucite, acrolyte, plaskolite- all same thing=acrylic

lexan, makrolon,- all same thing=polycarbonate

impact strength glass<acrylic<polycarb
scratch resistance glass>acrylic>polycarb

boat windshield should be made of glass unless It was replaced. A single application of Rain-X probably won't do too much damage to acrylic. DO NOT USE WINDEX. Go on line and but some brillianize or novus acrylic cleaners. Or ZEP 40.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
According to the MSDS sheet, the RainX you put on your windshield is 1-5% acetone and water. Guess it will clean glass, but how it's supposed to repel water is beyond me, other than maybe really clean glass WILL repel water...

One application of that much acetone isn't going to hurt your plex...