Marine toilet plumbing help

cozza

Seaman Apprentice
Hello too all
I'm looking at the best way to plumb up a electric toilet the do's and don'ts. I will be putting in a waste tank but also need the option to pump directly out to sea as well.
So I will be using the holding tank while inshore then pumping directly out while offshore

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
I assume you're aware of the rules concerning where you're allowed to dump waste, so I won't go into that with you.

The way mine is set up is basically this...

Waste hose from the toilet goes to the waste tank. The output hose from the tank, has a Y-valve in it. One hose from the valve leads to the deck pumpout fitting, the other to the input side of a macerator pump. Another hose leads from the output side of the pump to the thru-hull seacock. Turn the valve one way and you can suck the stuff out through the deck fitting. Turn the valve the other way, and the macerator pump will suck it from the tank, chop it up, and push it out through a seacock installed below the waterline.

To pump overboard... when the tank is full, set the Y-valve to direct waste to the macerator pump, hit a switch to activate the pump, and it goes out through the bottom of the boat.

Good write-up with pics here...

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey...lling-head.asp

My .02

Last edited:

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What JoLin said ^^^^. Mine, which is manual, not electric, is plumbed in the "before or after" configuration, which is the most versatile as the article indicates.

cozza

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks guys
I've got a portable toilet ATM and when someone sneaks in a number 2,, it's not pleasant