Help mounting a ladder, 2016 Tracker PT 175

IWELD

Seaman
It's been awhile but I'm back for some advise. I have a new Tracker Aluminum Pro Team 175 TXW and bought a 3 step ladder today. I plan to thru bolt mount it to the passenger side. After looking at the inside of the transom I don't think I'll be able to reach the port side bottom mount to get a backing washer and nut on the bolt. Has anyone done this? Would it be ok to drill and tap the transom here and seal the bolt with 5200?

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
5200 is a sealant not structural material. I would not trust it to hold something like a ladder in place. That said I think you might be able to get away with only 3 bolts compared to 4 depending on ladder and load.

IWELD

Seaman
Thanks SkaterRace, I just meant to use the 5200 to seal the holes/threads after it's all bolted down. I stared at the transom for awhile tonight, felt inside all the nooks on the inside of the transom and the best i can figure is I'll need to remove the deck from the rear to get enough access. The thought of doing that to a new boat is...painful. There is more of an issue than just the one lower left mount.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Can you move to mounting point on the ladder so the bolt goes through where you can get the nut on it?

IWELD

Seaman
I might but its a little too close to the motor when it's turned than I'm comfortable with. There would only be about 1 1/2" of clearance. I may be able to shorten the tube to get the ladder closer to the transom and gain a little clearance.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi Iweld. Are you certain that you want to have your ladder permanently fixed in place? I mounted mine using a homemade button-hole mount that has worked very well for me. I have a perfect out-of-the-way place to store the ladder when not in use, but it can be mounted quickly on either gunnel when needed. More details in my rebuild thread linked in my signature. - Grandad