Bilge Replacement - and what is this?

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
New boat for me - my bilge pump doesn't run, turning it on always pops the 5 fuse, increasing the fuse power goes but nothing turns on. I'm thinking I should just replaced the full pump? who knows how old it is Also, I can't find the float - could it be here (on the right of the yellow bilge pump) where its missing? some weird, black circle, filled with silicone, with a wire going into it...??? what the....

Attachments

• photo244371.jpg
    photo244371.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
yes, agree....but as for that black thing on the right? the circle...full of silicone with a wire going into the middle....is that where the float used to be maybe?
well...maybe that pump has a built in float (I don't think so) i'll pull it out and give it a good look through.
just so confused no float...and no exposed wire

Last edited:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
some used a sensor to check for water and some pumps cycled checking for water.
The best way is with a pump and a float switch,

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
So.... With only two wires on the pump.... Most likely no float I'm guessing

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I think Don's right, that thing to the right looks like a through the hull transducer. Could the float be internal in the pump? I prefer a separate pump and float, but that's just what I'm used to.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Yeah, the black thing looks to be a ducer, and a poorly installed one at that. It might be mounted just on the inside, shoot thru hull type. is there any sign of it on the outside? If so, I'd look at re-bedding it as that glob of silicone may be there to stop a leak, and I'd say it's stopping the leak from the inside but has the potential to fail. If its just a shoot thru, and works, leave it alone.

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
i'll take a look at the bottom of the boat.

I'm pretty sure the bilge pump never had a float, just hooked to the dash that has a built in bilge ON / OFF pump - no auto
so the bilge never had abuilt in switch eitehr

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Object on right looks like a standard transducer that can be transom mounted or used shoot thru style. Why it's mounted with silicone, I couldn't tell you. I'd be surprised if it was returning accurate readings like that.

The proper way to mount it in a shoot thru configuration would be to use a slow cure epoxy (slow cure to allow any air bubbles to hopefully work their way out). I used west systems Gflex on my transducer install and it worked nicely.

When you replace your bilge pump, I'd warn you to stay away from the auto pumps that check for water every couple minutes by spinning the impeller to see if there is any load. Mine drives me crazy because I can hear it kick on all night whenever I'm spending the night in the cabin. In a big boat it probably wouldn't be a problem, but just thought I'd share my hatred of the things ;)

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
i checked, nothing mounted on the underneath of the boat, so its not drilled all the way through

call me crazy I guess, but I'm gonna just stick with the pump that I install and then have to turn on with a switch
thanks for your input about them kicking on

RCJG228

Cadet
i checked, nothing mounted on the underneath of the boat, so its not drilled all the way through

call me crazy I guess, but I'm gonna just stick with the pump that I install and then have to turn on with a switch
thanks for your input about them kicking on

That will be ok if you store your boat on a trailer, but if it is sitting in the water, and you're not there, how does the pump turn on?

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
you are absolutely right, it does not turn on...ever. if there is a time I plan to leave it on the water, or I make enough money for a dock slip, then i'll buy a switch ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
you are absolutely right, it does not turn on...ever. if there is a time I plan to leave it on the water, or I make enough money for a dock slip, then i'll buy a switch ;)
On my old boat, there was a time I was on the water and wish I had the float switch. I was only on the water for the day. I would put in a switch. They are cheap.

rderenzy

Petty Officer 1st Class
float switch is cheap yes, but I think I'd have trouble installing the wires as I'm not very smart with the electrical.
also, since my pump is tied to my dash board switch, which is only on/off - would the float switch bypass that and actually kick on, even w/ the dash switch off?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
yes it would, it gets wired directly to the battery, or the hot side of the battery switch.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
As a matter of fact, I just finished installing a new pump and float in mine a few minutes ago. The old pump only had the dash on/off switch, and I kept that. Added the float so now it babysits itself.