Abandoned Boat

apensa

Cadet
I just wanted to tell you that I am still waiting for some sort of contact from Arizona Game and Fish. I guess this takes a while. I'm sure as heck not going to invest in a motor until I get title.

apensa

Cadet
Still have not received anything from Arizona Game and Fish regarding the boat. I think some time in August will be the 90 days for them to try to contact the last known registered owner, so maybe will here something during August. I'll keep you posted if still interested.

I might have asked this before, but if and when I get title to the boat, does anyone have a suggestion on what size/brand of motor I should buy? I will use it for fishing on the Colorado River that has a constant current of 7 to 10 mph.

jbcurt00

Staff member
7.5hp-15hp, depending on transom height and boats beam.

DBG40

Cadet
Here in CT. You contact the DEEP and report the vessel as abandoned. after a short period (if no one claims it) they issue you an official claim, and it's yours free and clear.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Still have not received anything from Arizona Game and Fish regarding the boat. I think some time in August will be the 90 days for them to try to contact the last known registered owner, so maybe will here something during August. I'll keep you posted if still interested.

I might have asked this before, but if and when I get title to the boat, does anyone have a suggestion on what size/brand of motor I should buy? I will use it for fishing on the Colorado River that has a constant current of 7 to 10 mph.
Have pix? Is it a jon boat? Need more specific info.

If it's the 1236 Crestliner jon boat, it's rated at 10hp max.

If it's the 1436 Crestliner jon boat, it's rated at 20hp max.

If it's the 1448 Crestliner jon boat, it's rated at 25hp max.

http://boatspecs.iboats.com/Crestliner_Boats__Jon_1236__1997/bp/66b23846

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Being such a small Jon Boat, I'd suggest maybe a 10HP OB for it. You need to post some pictures for us to see what it looks like to offer much more info though.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
To hang to that it would be with renting a utility trailer for the day or even a U-Haul pickup. Haul it into the back and away you go.

82rude

Rear Admiral
That's no jon boat .looks like your typical crestliner utility.Whats the exact size?Kodiak 14?

apensa

Cadet
Still in process..............sorry I ever got into it. They are in the process of excavating our lagoon so had to take kayaks, paddle boat and this boat out of the water. Used the pontoon boat trailer to do that, but that is not going to work if I have to take it in for an inspection before they let me finally register it.

alldodge

Staff member
If you have or can get use of a pickup, slide it in the bed, or any flat bed trailer

Old Ironmaker

Captain
If it was found in northern Ontario you got yourself a free boat. If the authorities ever did ask about it they would be surprised if a 70's boat had any paper work with it here in Ontario. 1 RCMP, OPP or C.O. for areas the size of Vermont. You will hear "I got it from my brothers father in law that was neighbours with a guy who's 3rd cousin found it in 81 tied to a tree buried in 5 years of leaves out Moose hunting". Stuff like that happens here all the time. Guys have a boat for hunting on back lakes and never make the 17 hour drive to go back to get the boat when they stop hunting. I know guys that forgot where they last put a boat. No GPS back then.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Talked to an O.P.P who told me if you find a boat in the wilderness like that it is considered abandoned.ive used mnr boats for the day and respectfully put them back ,then again maybe they were stolen from the mnr in the first place.Heck most people in Canada take proper boat reg asa suggestion not a law.Its a federal responsibility up here not provincial.They did a study a few years back and figured 65 plus percent of the boats were not reg to the proper or current owner.On my lake alone there are boats from texas,mich,ill, ohio,all currently being owned by Canadians.

Last edited:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Hi 82rude, ain't that a fact. I talked 2 buddies into finally registering their boats, they had 2 each. 1 had it for 23 years and never switched over the boat or the trailer. I bet if 65% of boats aren't registered to the current owners 90% of trailers aren't. Here in Ontario it is basically the plate that is registered and it's a 1 time deal. The Feds could care less about your trailer as trailers are a MOT Provincial issue and as long as they all got their taxes they could care less about what serial number is on a trailer as if you can find one that isn't rusted off after all the salt they put on the roads. Guy sells the boat and trailer or just a trailer and just takes the plate off and slaps it on his next trailer and you slap yours on the new one. I don't have a clue where my ownership for the trailer is after all these years. I just tell them it's a home made Frankenstein and they give me a serial number I think. A boat is a bit more difficult to register without paper work but not by much. I feel for the OP, it can get so convoluted when it comes to red tape down there in some states, and I thought our Govs are bad. I had a place in Florida, I have stood in line at the DMV for days there it felt like when I bought a car. Try paying a parking ticket, wow.

Where are you by the way? The last time I asked a Canuck here on iboats.com it turns out he lives down the road from us and I know him, he is the Home Insurance inspector for our broker and has been here twice, big country small world.

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
Sault ste Marie, Ontario.Lake Superior is 15 minutes away from me and Michigan is 5 minutes away.If your a sportsman I wouldn't live anywhere else.Ten minutes north of me is enough wilderness to swallow Texas whole.

roffey

Commander
I to am from Ontario, I had a trailer plate that went from a utility trailer to a camper and on to my first boat trailer, that was not registered by me or the guy I bought it from. My current set up is all legal and registered to me as I got them from a dealer. I remember years back, just as you say we had boats on lakes you could only walk to. It took a hug effort to drag the boat out there and was normally pulled behind a snowmobile in the dead of winter. I am sure the boats are still there.