Abandoned Boat

apensa

Cadet
I found one morning an aluminum fishing boat tied up to my dock. I left it there several days and nothing developed except the Raccoons were using it as a Porta Potty. I took it to my seawall and turned it over. Anyway, I've never seen anything about a stolen or lost boat. I am thinking of contacting some authority and if nothing comes of it, register it, buy a trailer, get a small outboard that I can take out on the river and do some fishing. We live on the Colorado in Arizona.

It is a Crestliner. I'd say 12' aluminum hull. All the original placards are faded and can't read. The same goes for the old registration numbers. Also I can't find the HID....maybe it is on the inside.....(too heavy for me to turn over)

I guess my first question is what should I do? Then, what size motor would do well on this craft? The Colorado has a sustained current of seven to ten MPH. I want to be able to travel up and down river.

Any help, advice or cautions would be appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
My guess would be someone stole it, took it for a ride down river and left. I would call the authorities, IMO should be handled like if you found a bag of money. So many days after turn over you can get it free. This also documents you tried to find the owner.

On a side note, you could start charging moorage fees, and can get them "maybe" if the owner shows up

Might find out that there is a fugitive on the loose that used the boat and this would help them figure where their at

Last edited:

roffey

Commander
What AllDodge said plus maybe someone found it and did not know what to do with it so they tied it up to your spot. No way someone would toss a boat that floats. As mentioned above, here in Canada you wait for a period of time and then its yours if no one clams it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I believe in most states you are required to report it. if it was stolen or broken loose from its mooring, the rightful owners could be looking for it. As indicated by AD, if after the appropriate amount of time, it could become yours, free and clear by the letter of the law. check with your local LEO's

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Report it to Law Enforcement, I'm sure something can be worked out so you can assume ownership if no one claims it.

apensa

Cadet
Thanks for all the advice. I guess I better contact a LEO t to keep things on the up and up. I like that post about the craft having been used in a crime.....never thought of that or I would have reported it a long time ago.

apensa

Cadet
I'll do that. Might be a short time. I'm going to be "out of pocket" a few days I'll contact the local authorities next week.

apensa

Cadet
This is getting complicated. Without an HID, an AZ registration numbers or any documentation, the Arizona Game and Fish Department would have to inspect the boat and they may be able to register it to me the same day. Problem......I don't have a trailer for the boat and no other way to get it to Kingman to their office. Evidently boats manufactured prior to 1972 did not need an HID. From looking at pictures, I thought this little boat was from the '70s. I'll continue to update as I move along. I'm thinking that if I can't get enough information to have Game and Fish do a search for it, I'll just have the local police take it.

apensa

Cadet
I just found the HIN. Evidently this boat was originally manufactured by Genmar. They went belly up and sold the aluminum boat portion of the company to Brunswick. Brunswick owns Crestliner. Making some progress.

ll call AZ game and fish tomorrow and have them send me the paperwork to start the ball rolling. I guess they will do a search to see if it has been reported lost or stolen and eventually if no one claims the boat, it's mine.

If this is getting redundant and there is no interest in following this, let me know. I don't want to bore anyone with trivial stuff.

Mo1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just got title to my boat last month like that JC, Call fish and game give them the number the will let you know if its stolen. If it hasn't been registered in 4 years they will inspect the boat have you complete a Statement of Fact form and the boat will be legally yours. I thing the fee was 26.00

R055

Chief Petty Officer
How big is the your lake that it was tied to your dock? my best guess would be someone snuck onto someone's dock and stole it, had a joy ride, and abandoned it at your dock when they got bored.

I hope I'm wrong though and the legit owner did abandon it and you get to keep it.

apensa

Cadet
I did run the HIN. That particular site did not tell me anything I did not already know. The boat is a '97 Crestliner manufactured by Genmar Boats of Canada. I really don't care about the history, etc. I called Arizona Game and Fish and they are on it. They told me that the boat was last registered several years ago and the owner (based on the age they had) has a good chance of being deceased. They will contact me. after their "law enforcement" division checks it out. I have no idea how long that will be.

If in the end I have to take it in for an inspection before registration, I just might walk away from the whole deal unless I can find someone that will lend me a trailer. I'm not going to buy a trailer. The motor will be light enough for me to take in if service is needed and I live on the water so no need to transport the boat anywhere. I might be able to lash it down to my pontoon boat trailer. Anyway, I'm not going to lose sleep over this while thing.

Any suggestions as to a motor that I should be looking at when it is all said and done?

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Subscribed.. interesting tale, can't wait to hear the outcome.

apensa

Cadet
It is probably going to be a while. I checked back with the person i talked to at the Kingman, AZ office of Arizona game and fish. She has handed it to the "main office" in Phoenix who will contact me.......not sure when