Tools for the boat

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I am with you on that. I can't fix much but do keep enough tools for things I either can or someone else likely can. None of my tools are good ones mostly cheap and ones I don't worry about if they fall in the drink.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Depends on the boat...

Some, just the little kit that comes when you buy a new outboard is plenty.
Typically: Plug wrench, pliers, screwdriver and a couple of open end box wrenches (appropriate for the engine's normal maintenance)
Add a 8 inch crescent wrench and that should be all a small aluminum boat with maybe up to 30 hp needs.

The fire extinguisher is a REQUIREMENT for any boat with an engine in the US (and most other places) A second extinguisher is not a bad idea.

As the boat gets bigger and more complicated... you need more.

Its a good idea to look around your boat and find what sizes/types screwdrivers, wrenches and other tools you may need for minor repairs. A spare of each size fuse and light bulb would also be a good idea.

There is no single list that will apply to everyone.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The bigger the boat gets the more stuff we keep in it until we need a bigger boat and then fill that one up.

In Canada a Marine Fire Extinguisher (white) is required for any vessel with a fixed fuel tank. There is no reason not to have one on any size boat.