Tools for the boat

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I was thinking about what tools I might need now my boat is too big to paddle back to shore.

On the boat:
-screwdrivers
-wrenches SAE
-pliers
-crescent wrench
-small vice grips
-electrical tape
-wire strippers
-extra wire
-electrical tape
-multi meter
-marrets

Off the boat:
-sockets
-extra set of wrenches
-torque wrench
-breaker bar
-soldering iron

Is there anything I am missing that I should have either on or off the boat? It is a 15.25 ft boat.

roffey

Commander
I keep the socket set on the boat, prop and prop wrench but I bet you have that.

SkaterRace

I keep the socket set on the boat, prop and prop wrench but I bet you have that.
Torque wrench is same as a prop one only it allows you to go to exactly manufacturer spec. I bought it because I am terrible at guaging the right preasure.

For the socket set would it be better to just keep the common ones I would need on the boat? I have about 4 cubic feet to fit all tools and safety gear. Boat sucks for storage. That is a fall project.

oldjeep

Admiral
I keep a small socket set, prop wrench, prop puller, spare impeller and spare master power switch (common Malibu problem) and that is about it.

tpenfield

Staff member
I bring a whole bag full of various tools, wrenches, etc. invariably the tool that I need is the one left ashore :facepalm:

alldodge

Staff member
I try to think of it like this. I need my best tools on the boat because if it breaks down there is no place to take a walk and pull one out of the tool box. There not all in my boat box, but I would rather go to the boat and get the right tool, then try to swim to get on at home. That said, there is only so much room. The only point I'm trying to make, is don't put cheap tools on the boat

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I carry my Leatherman, a spare prop kit (which includes hammer, crescent wrench, needle nose and slip joint pliers), multimeter, electrical tape, duct tape, multi-driver, a utility knife a hex wrench specific to my boat, jumper cables, 2.5 gallons of gas, extra rope, a bunch of zip ties, a phone charger cable, and some cash. Some of these things I've never used, but I'm keeping them.
I also carry a mask, snorkel, fins, and underwater knife.

thetmaxx

Cadet
Great topic, I'm also curious what to keep on the boat. Like tpenfield said, when my jet skis break down, I never have the right part or tool.....

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I carry a battery booster and a set of jumper cables to boost mine and others boats if need be. A good set of wire cutters if the downriggers gets hung up and I have a multi tool in the glove box. A good sharp knife, a single screw driver with interchangeable bits, a stubby slot screwdriver and an assortment of Trident clamps and a nut diver. It all goes in a plastic tub sealed except the booster pack. That as well as most items already listed, never leave home without the duct tape.

Spare parts is another list.

Last edited:

dwco5051

Commander
A tow rope and a cell phone. The cell phone is to call your wife to take you from the launch you got towed into to the launch where your truck and trailer are parked.

shrew

Lieutenant
Marine but connectors and shrink tubing. they make butt connectors with shrink tubing on them. There is no place for electrical tape on a boat. There is no soldering on a boat either.

SkaterRace

Marine but connectors and shrink tubing. they make butt connectors with shrink tubing on them. There is no place for electrical tape on a boat. There is no soldering on a boat either.
Electrical tape is a quick fix on the water and yeah solder the connection at home then shrink wrap it.

Last edited:

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I take a few screwdrivers, a socket set with wrench, vise grips, an adjustable wrench and a breaker bar. I store them in a bag under my seat :)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have a large set of tools on my boat including sockets. I try to work on the boat with only the tools on the boat so I know I will have everything I need if I am on vacation somewhere and need to repair something while on the water. This is for a boat that I will take out on the ocean or on a large lake like Lake Powell where I am miles away from services. Also for when My boat is at the dock in front of my house at Lake Tahoe.

Last edited:

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Lot of great stuff mentioned. I'll add a first aid kit and a good flashlight to the list.
Oh, and extra fuses.

Last edited:
The duct tape and zip ties as mentioned above are big. They can be used in many ways along with all of the standard tools.

I also keep a garbage bag (for floating garbage) and a ziplock bag full of paper towels, to clean grease off of hands, etc.

A cigarette lighter is always nice to have in case you need to cure a fouled spark plug. For that matter, an extra set of new spark plugs is always smart.

roffey

Commander
Never thought of a cigarette lighter but it makes sense. I'll put a Bic lighter still in the pack on my boat, good idea.

vkjazz

Recruit
Take a look at your local farm supply store or equivalent like Harbor Freight. I was able to find a tool kit that had everything mentioned and more ...open ends, sockets, ratchet, allen wrenches, electrical connectors, tape just about everything imaginable! They comes in plastic cases and everything has spot that holds it pretty tight. No bouncing or rattling around etc.The cases are not waterproof so a large zip lock bag is ideal with a desiccant bag to prevent rust. I think I paid about $30. It stays in the boat at all times. I have had to use it a couple times and have helped other boaters when they did not have the tool they needed or any tools. Yes they are cheap tools certainly not anything like Snap-On or Mac....but for the purpose of boating emergency tools they are near perfect. If you need them you have them, If you drop it in the lake ..so what, If they are stolen..so what. If this sounds good I hope you can find one. Sorry I do not know the brand.
TK

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I try to think of it like this. I need my best tools on the boat because if it breaks down there is no place to take a walk and pull one out of the tool box. There not all in my boat box, but I would rather go to the boat and get the right tool, then try to swim to get on at home. That said, there is only so much room. The only point I'm trying to make, is don't put cheap tools on the boat

I'm the exact opposite! Nothing but harbor freight tools in the boat. You aren't going to be rebuilding an engine while on the water, it is going to be tightening minor items and doing repairs that are meant to last just long enough to get you safely back to shore. I'd MUCH rather have 20 different harbor freight wrenches and sockets of various sizes than about 3 snapon sockets and driver for the same price. I can guarantee the harbor freight tools will be infinitely more valuable in pretty much any situation!

Realistically, you have to do an assessment of what could fail on the water and what could you repair without a parts store full of parts, and then plan your tools accordingly. The big items are loose bolts, broken belt, solenoid stuck, fuel line break, plugged filter, stuck trim, and electrical faults (including ignition) The tools needed to fix any of those add up to about $20 at harbor freight. That assessment needs to include personal ability also, if you don't know how to fix it on land, having tools to fix it on the water will do nothing for you.

If you are doing major repairs like replacing an alternator or starter, yeah quality tools are good, but very, very few people are going to carry on board spares of either of those, at least for a typical recreational boater.

Last edited: