Fuel Gauge stuck on half full - Gauge or Sending Unit?

rqualls4

Recruit
Hello I have researching an issue with my 2001 Four Winns 234 Funship. Just launched for first time this year and noticed the fuel gauge was still showing 1/2 full even after filling up and no movement after running for a few hours. I have read several forums on how to test the gauge and try to determine the fault but do have a general question that is bugging me at the moment. With the ignition off and all gauges drop to zero etc.... shouldn't the fuel gauge also show empty if the ignition is off and especially if the battery is disconnected? Thanks, RQ

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Check the connections at the gauge and sender. if all good, Tap the gauge at the dash with your finger, sometimes they get stuck. As far as testing, ground the sender wire at the sender itself, the gauge should go to full. If not, it's the gauge.

NHGuy

Captain
To test the gauge (I'd do that first). Remove connector from terminal "S". Turn on ignition. Gauge should "peg" empty. Turn off ignition, place a jumper wire from "Gnd" to "S" terminal. Turn on power, gauge should "peg" full. If that works then the gauge is good.

Let us know what the results are, we can tell you how to test the sender too. It's done using an ohmmeter.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Check the connections at the gauge and sender. if all good, Tap the gauge at the dash with your finger, sometimes they get stuck. As far as testing, ground the sender wire at the sender itself, the gauge should go to full. If not, it's the gauge.

I had a gas gauge that would stick and rapped it with my knuckle and it worked fine... Not saying that's your issue.... I would do the test above....

rqualls4

Recruit
Thank you for responding... I will not get a chance to do any testing till this weekend. If I recall though, with the ignition off, the gauge still showed 1/2 tank. I would assume with no power the gauge would set at empty. That's why I am guessing it may just be the gauge. If someone could clarify that point then I will test it all out this weekend and respond back with the results. thanks again

rqualls4

Recruit
Well discovered it to be the gauge. After all test performed, only solution was to tap on back of gauge to get the needle to move, but sticks after each tap. Will attempt to fix the gauge, but assuming best route will be to replace the gauge with new... thanks