Cobalt R7

andrew91

Seaman
Does anyone on here have any negative experiences with the cobalt R7's? I have an 89 celebrity, needless to say im going to junk it most likely. I have a neighbor who likes to drink alot, and I left it uncovered one night 2 summers ago. I had been having issues with the carburetor, he had came over and suggested I clean it out with the hose. Well I have been around engines since I was a child, I know very well this is a big no no. I came out the following day, to find his hose had flooded the entire port side, over the top of my stringer and down into the bilge. Why I didnt think to check my carburetor I will never know. So I siphoned out all the water I could (that port side stringer doesnt have a weep hole that I know of) covered it up and it sat for three weeks. It wasnt until I went to winterize the poor thing that I learned my engine was full of water. I cranked the engine and all of a sudden it stopped. I couldn't figure out why for the life of me. Then I opened the secondary butterfly ontop of the quadrajet, it was full of water. I pulled all the plugs and water poured out of two of the cylinders. I free spun the engine for 2 or 3 minutes trying to push as much out as I could. I did a proper tune up on it the following spring, and it ran like a top. I never saw any excessive smoke or anything. I haven't started it this year and never used it last year. Getting married tied up most of my budget. I'm scared that its going to belch smoke like crazy I honestly think the cylinders are okay, but I dont think the valves on those two cylinders could ever seat properly again without a valve job. The wife and I had spoken about crate engines until I found a soft spot in the deck. I got this celebrity a few years ago and it was always just a boat I wanted to start with. I talked with her about ordering a cobalt several times, and now she is on board. I'm just wondering if anyone has had any negative experiences with the R series cobalts? My dad had a 20' Cobalt when I was growing up and it was the granddad of all boats back then. But many of the companies that were great when I was a kid have now started riding their names. Any input is greatly appreciated.

alldodge

Staff member
Never owned a Cobalt but rode They use the same motor as all other boat makers

Maclin

Admiral
If you get the Cobalt, how far away from that neighbor will it be at any given time?

andrew91

Seaman
I will store it under lock and key at the marina about 40 miles from home we have a cabin down there

andrew91

Seaman
Also my father has a 65 span and wants all the mechanicals from my boat because his knocks really bad and the drive is bad anyone know where to get the most bang for your buck as far as marine crate engines go hes not opposed to rebuilding mine but is kind of looking for a crate engine