Cleaning vinyl and fiberglass

nvanzee

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking for something that will clean grease smudges from my vinyl seats and the fiberglass. Did a motor swap last year and was never able to get it clean again. I've tried a few cleaners which some helped a little but it's still there. Not sure what all is safe to use. Anyone know of anything that will work good?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Boat 9 or Spray 9 will clean it. Then apply tons of vinyl protectant to make the vinyl supple again.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Yup use 303 aerospace protectant after cleaning the vinyl to protect the vinyl.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
303 I just don't get it. Every time I used it the vinyl looked like crap. Streaky, sticky. Armorall has always been the standard. But now, 3M McGuires vinyl treatment far surpasses anything on the market. Their waxes, like QuikWax, are also simply awesome.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
303 I just don't get it. Every time I used it the vinyl looked like crap. Streaky, sticky. Armorall has always been the standard. But now, 3M McGuires vinyl treatment far surpasses anything on the market. Their waxes, like QuikWax, are also simply awesome.

The 303 worked for me and didn't feel sticky and streaky, did you apply after cleaning seat or just on top?

I'll have to try that 3m though, never had problems with 3m products.

MI_Pirate

Seaman Apprentice
There are several different 303 products. There is 303 Fabric Guard, 303 Multi Surface Cleaner, 303 Speed Detailer, and 303 Aerospace Protectant. Which one did you use that left things sticky and streaky?

I clean my white vinyl seats with Spray 9 Marine and a medium stiffness brush. If there are any stubborn stains, I have some generic spray cleaner from the grocery store that has bleach in it. I spray the stained area, and just let it sit in the sun for 15 minutes or so and then hose it off. After they are clean and dry, I use the 303 Aerospace Protectant on them for the UV protection. Never had sticky or streaky results doing that....

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I don't think there is much difference in formulation between regular Spray 9 and Marine Spray 9, I've been using it since 1980. It won't take out all stains. Add a few ounces of bleach in a bottle for hard to get whites white.

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
Hey everyone!

Saw there are some questions about cleaning vinyl seats and protecting them and hopefully I can help out a bit. Before using any vinyl protectant, it is important to make sure the surface is clean, residue free, and dry before applying any product. This way the product can properly bound to the surface.

Some of you have mentioned 303? products. For cleaning, we recommend the 303? Multi-Surface Cleaner, which will leave the surface clean and residue free, and then apply the 303? Aerospace Protectant for UV protection (when applying 303? Aerospace Protectant, it is very important to wipe off any excess on the surface so the product can properly bound to the surface and avoid streaking). Also, 303? Multi-Surface Cleaner will help with grease as well, but we do make a product specifically to clean grease called 303? Citrus Cleaner and Degreaser. All these products can be found right here on iboats.com.

If you have any questions about 303? products, feel free to comment or shoot us a PM. Hope this helps!

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
There are several different 303 products. There is 303 Fabric Guard, 303 Multi Surface Cleaner, 303 Speed Detailer, and 303 Aerospace Protectant. Which one did you use that left things sticky and streaky?

I clean my white vinyl seats with Spray 9 Marine and a medium stiffness brush. If there are any stubborn stains, I have some generic spray cleaner from the grocery store that has bleach in it. I spray the stained area, and just let it sit in the sun for 15 minutes or so and then hose it off. After they are clean and dry, I use the 303 Aerospace Protectant on them for the UV protection. Never had sticky or streaky results doing that....
303 Aerospace Protectant. After cleaning with Spray 9 and after letting it dry.

I have an old classic car with a vinyl interior and a vinyl top. Boy, you should see how that looks after a coat with 3M products.

All I can say is that I treat the seats annually (same with my cars), even if they look like don't need it. Maybe if the seats are half worn out and sun baked, maybe then 303 will bring them back to life. But since mine are already pretty lively, all it did was make it worse.

I threw the can out - McGuires all the way.

nvanzee

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the replys. I'll get some of the spray 9 and try that. Will that work on the fiberglass too or just the seats?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Work from the bottom up with Spray 9. It may streak otherwise. Powerful stuff. It will take acrylic latex paint off a wall.

Last edited:

Gold Eagle Co

iboats Partner
Good morning!

We noticed that a common issue that people are running into is streaking, whether it is with our product or a competitor's. No matter what protectant you use you should always start with a clean, residue free surface. The surface you intend to treat should be completely dry and you should apply the product in a well-ventilated area out of direct sunlight.

If you are using 303? Marine & Recreation Aerospace Protectant, once you spray the product onto the surface you wish to treat you should wipe the surface completely dry with a soft cloth. If streaking occurs, too much product has been used. This product is not intended to air dry, and extra buffing actually increases bonding, repellency, and longevity.

If you are cleaning and protecting clear vinyl, we recommend people try our 303? Marine Clear Vinyl Protective Cleaner. This product safely cleans and protects against yellowing and cracking of vinyl, clear vinyl, [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]STRATAGLASS? and Eisenglass. 303? Marine Clear Vinyl Protective Cleaner is specially formulated to leave a streak-free finish on clear surfaces. [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]​The next five people who comment will receive a FREE SAMPLE PACK that contains 303? Marine Clear Vinyl Protective Cleaner, 303? Marine Quick Wax, and 303? Marine Citrus Cleaner and Degreaser! All we ask is that you write a review of at least one of the products within 30 days of receiving them. If you are interested, comment on this thread and either include your shipping address in the comment or message us directly after you have posted your comment.

HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY!!
[/FONT]

anthony5121

Recruit
I'd also like the samples. I've tried the 303 vinyl protectant and it works great. I haven't tried the other products. I'll message my address.

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'd be interested in the samples too! I'm a big fan of 303 protectant but haven't used any of the others. My PM is incoming.

nvanzee

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the help everyone. Picked up some spray 9. We will see how it does.

I would also like some free samples too!