Smart tabs, mounting screws question, sealent tape and sealent, re-do.

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Heya fellas, wondering if anyone has ever had issues with water intrusion with their smart tabs that have been on for a while. Do some of you guys who've had them for a while remove the screws and re seal the holes and fasteners after a certain time? My nauticus seem to have a black sealant tape beween the stainless tabs and the hull, looks to be depreciating a bit. If im questioning it, i know its best to replace and re secure the tabs and actuators.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If you think it might leak I would back them out and use 3M 5200 to seal it for good.

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you think it might leak I would back them out and use 3M 5200 to seal it for good.

3m 5200 is the product to get? I'll be on a mission tomorrow am to find some. Thanks for the line on the right product, if i google it, they all say their products are the best... Lol. Good show.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
3m 5200 is the product to get? I'll be on a mission tomorrow am to find some. Thanks for the line on the right product, if i google it, they all say their products are the best... Lol. Good show.
If you ever think you might have to remove it go with 4000 that is the strongest one. Both seal equally.

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys, my mariah is only my second boat, it came with the smart tabs on it.
There seems to be a black gastget between the transom and the tabs, and actuators.
I have an email into nauticus but so far no reply. Any idea what they are? Sealant tape? Nd if its neccesary to use it again. Seems like its breaking down and crumbles to the touch.
Thanks again for any advice!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I don't recall any kind of sealant tape when installing my Smart Tabs... Just 3M 5200 in the holes. I wonder if that was some sort of innovation dreamed up by the previous owner?

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't recall any kind of sealant tape when installing my Smart Tabs... Just 3M 5200 in the holes. I wonder if that was some sort of innovation dreamed up by the previous owner?

Thats what i thought, the black gasket deteriorates and causes a space between the tabs and the transom resulting in loose hardware i think. Im going to re-do, as directed by you fine gentlemen!
Thanks for all the helpful info once again.

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just waiting for photobucket mobile to upload and im going to try and upload a photo lol

Shabah180

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks guys, found some 3m 5200 and re did the the fasteners. I would have been lost teying to find the right stuff.. But all worked out great.
Thanks for the advice again i will be sure to pass it along when the the opportunity comes up!

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, if I remember the instructions on my Bennett Tabs, I used epoxy to seal the screw threads. I mixed some up and dipped the screws into it, and cranked them in.