transom too thick for Johnson 18hp? is this safe?

SuperEnzo

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, I have a 1971 Sears 14 footer and I recently acquired a new to me 1963 Johnson 18 horse and it seems that my transom is too thick for the motor clamps. It does fit on the transom but it doesn't sit flat on the transom. Is this okay? The motor seems to be on there solid after I jostled it a little

Attachments

• photo243266.JPG
    photo243266.JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo243267.JPG
    photo243267.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 1
  • photo243268.JPG
    photo243268.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 1

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
That looks fine. However I would Take off the metal plate and just use the wood for the motor to clamp to. It will get a better bite and for sure not come off. They can slip on the smooth metal, I know this from experience and that experience was not cheap lol!

SuperEnzo

Seaman Apprentice
Really? you lost the whole motor?! I have mine tethered with a steel rope just in that case. I will look at removing it then, thanks cat nip

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I agree that it the metal should be removed, while until cat nip I never had a motor fall off I did have one slip and move a few inches. Scared the crap out of me, I paddled home that day.

jbcurt00

Staff member
3 pieces of 3/4 or 5/8 plywood (cant tell which, but certainly looks like more the 3pcs of 1/2) is too thick, thats why the motor barely fits over it, the metal simply adds another 1/16 or so, making the snug fit worse.

Did it come w all that plywood when you got it?

SuperEnzo

Seaman Apprentice
Well shoot... I never realized it was such a problem... I bought the boat last year and ran a 7.5 hp mercury all summer without knowing the danger I was in! I dont want to see what would happen with more than double the horsepower! thanks

SuperEnzo

Seaman Apprentice
Yes the boat came with all that plywood on there. I didn't do it, nor the metal plate

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yup the whole motor, and the battery and when it flipped up sideways from the torque it also blew a giant hole I. The lower unit of the kicker motor and broke the fuel line at the tank. All of this o. The virgin ride. Had a solid aluminum transom. The replacement got bolted on. It didn't hit anything just worked its way loose.

SuperEnzo

Seaman Apprentice
holy cow was it a brand new boat or just new to you? did you even try to look for it?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I think I would repair that shoddy work and replace the transom wood correctly, that would drive me crazy seeing that motor set up like that. Looks as though you have less than an inch before that motor goes deep six.

fetch

Last edited:

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
Brand new lowe roughneck 1455. We had about 8 boats looking for it for a couple days. We were dragging grappling hooks and anchors. I thought I picked it up on sonar once but couldn't find it again. Never had a problem with a wood transom but I won't trust metal on the clamping side unless there is a lip at the top and its not my boat. Mine will all be bolted on in some fashion or another from now on.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
What is preventing your motor from sitting down on the transom all the way? It looks like it should.

SuperEnzo

Seaman Apprentice
The plate has been removed. Yes the wood is good and sturdy, not rotted at all. its dry underneath. It just has a sloppy paint job on it. There's a lip inside the motor clamp that it got caught on, hopefully with the plate removed it will slide further down.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
A few thing that I will point out for whatever it's worth.

Naturally that transom is too think otherwise it would sit all the way down. Next it need not always have to be seated all the way down as at times these old boats and old OMC engine ride too low in the water. I've jacked up many of them over the years to get the proper height. Lastly those old OMC engines have cleats on the outside transom bracket that when tightened will imbed into the outside wood. Which is also why many of those old boats had a wood board on the outside.

My only real concern would be that this engine isn't too high and because of it having cavitation problems, which I doubt. I would add a bicycle lock to the handles to help prevent them from coming loose. A safety cable is also recommended.