Grinding noise when put in gear

bucuri70

Recruit
I have a bayliner trophy 2359w 5.7 l mercruiser engine carburetor and alpha one gen 2 leg. My old leg seized on my last summer wasn.t a old leg neither.(just 1 month past one year)soo dealer don't back me up .. what happen a piece of gear on upper case broke . I use to have a grinding noise when put in gear forward or reverse. Now I bought a new complete leg and I fire up the boat today and got same noise. Did I have to adjust the cables or replace them. If I have to replace or adjust them is any video online how too

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
A grind is normal when putting it into gear........Pretty sure on an alpha 1 gen 2....just don't be slow engaging it

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Ya, you put it quickly in gear, but not so far it throttles up. When going to reverse, pause a second in neutral, then quick and firm. By going slowly in gear, you grind the shift dog and round it off.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Throw my hat into that ring also. If you have a single lever remote control, there is roughly +/- 20 degrees of movement from vertical where the shifting occurs prior to any throttle change. Just stay in that range and shift like you mean it. You may think you are doing right by slowly engaging but all your are doing is banging the tips of the tallest teeth together and grinding them off as mentioned above.

roffey

Commander
I agree, my boat is new and if I go slowly into reverse. You have to find that spot so it just clunks....

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Sounds like a typical Mercruiser. Volvo has a nice smooth engagement....

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
While a grind may be common with dog clutch drives if you shift too slow, if your shift cable is sticky and has too much drag or not enough travel in either direction you can get grinding even when shifting quickly. When you install a new drive the drag on the transom cable should be checked with a fish scale (measure drag in lbs; 2 or less). And the travel & adjustment should be checked.