Firt time out on the water

Mo1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After 4 months I was finally able to take this liitle 14 ft capri with a Force 59 out on the water. I have never owned a boat so launching and retrieving the boat was intimidating. The boat hadn't been on the water in over 10 years and I read that I should expect problems so I did my best to reduce the likely hood of being dead in the water. Thank to the forum for all the help

I was able to reverse the boat into the water with no problem but when it came time to retrieve boat I could not prevent the trailer from jack knifying. I thought installing the trailer guides would help with that.

The reverse lock does not work so putting in reverse was a pain.

It ran pretty good. What a rush ! It was so much fun. I can't wait to get back out there

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
Not sure if you're towing with a truck or SUV but if its a truck, I would recommend opening the tail gate it will make life much easier, even if its an SUV open the back hatch....with my 2500 Dodge I had it was almost impossible to see the trailer without opening the tail gate.....EDIT: Just watched the video and saw you are using a truck

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
+1 on dropping the tailgate. Easier to see the trailer when backing up and after winching to boat onto the trailer, you can walk on the tongue into your pickup bed and jump out the side. No wet feet!

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Guides are wonderful for seeing the trailer that is the main reason I am installing them on my trailer should I ever get them welded up.

southkogs

Staff member
I back up mainly using my mirrors - so, I can see the wheels / wells of the trailer in plenty of time before the trailer jackknives. I don't have guides on my trailer, and working in the mirrors I can get in pretty tight places backwards.

Chances are it's an issue of practice more than anything else.

ziggy

Admiral
I back up mainly using my mirrors
yep, use yer mirrors. it works great. i got a van that ya can't see out the back of. so i have no choice but to use the mirrors. as yer backing, if yer trailer starts to turn, turn your vehicle steering towards the trailer wheel you see. it'll straighten up. if ya can't see your trailer, it's going straight. as southkogs says, you can get into very tight places doing this. be aware though. you can't see straight behind the trailer, so be sure it's clear as your backing. agree with southkogs too. practice makes perfect.

Mo1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah hoping with some practice Ill get better; I got the guides because my trailer is so small that I cant see the wheel fenders. Good thing is I can get out of the truck and just pick up the trailer to straighten it up:D Thanks for the tail gate tip

southkogs

Staff member
... I got the guides because my trailer is so small that I cant see the wheel fenders
Oh that's true ... I forgot you said it was a 14'. I've had similar issues with trailers for our rowboat style fishing boats. Though, I still do it the same way.

ziggy

Admiral
my trailer is so small that I cant see the wheel fenders.
you see the wheels when it (the trailer) starts to turn. you compensate and wait for seeing the wheels on one side or the other. if ya can't see the trailer, it's likely going straight. if it's not, you'll start to see one side of the trailer.
ya kinda end up going in a 'S' back and forth, or take into account the arc and use it to your advantage.
i did a jet ski for 9 years with my van. it was 12' long. couldn't see it all behind me.
Good thing is I can get out of the truck and just pick up the trailer to straighten it up
that works well too, when the trailer is empty. and a small trailer. not so much for a bigger trailer.

Challenger84

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looks fun!!

Kinda the way i felt when i got my first boat and first splash!

Glad you didn't have any problems on the first run!

no704

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trailer backing 101: grab your steering wheel at 6:00, and proceed as if it was at 12:00. Every thing is backwards and this helps the brain.

RGrew176

Commander
Practice, practice and more practice. Soon you will look like a pro when backing the boat down into the water.

Maclin

Admiral
Small trailers with short distance from the axle to the tongue are very challenging to back. They can outpace the tow vehicle's ability to compensate in just a couple of feet if you cannot monitor their position. I have a half ton short bed regular cab pickup, it has a very tight turning radius and that helps. With my 22 footer I can catch and correct easily. With the 16 footer it must look like I am drunk or having a stroke sometimes even with the tailgate down.

I was waiting at a ramp one time and noticed two young men walking down the ramp beside a jetski trailer as their other buddy was backing the truck. Wondered what was up, then saw them pick the trailer up and move it back to center then the truck backed up some more. They did that every few feet, probably 4 or 5 more times. It was funny because it soon became obvious that they had done this many many times before. Pretty good solution in my book if you have the personnel :)

Maclin

Admiral
Just watched the video, looks like a pretty nice boat, should be a lot of fun, congrats!

Mo1

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks Mac and yup that was me picking up the trailer. That's why I went on a slow day at the ramp

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
the worst i ever had to deal with was a single jet ski trailer behind a mini van couldn't see the trailer at all but i knew if i could see it was side ways

mpbond

Recruit
My worst was a 14ft jon boat behind my 4 door longbed silverado. If I moved the steering wheel 1 in. in either direction and the trailer would shoot straight sideways.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last year was the first with our boat, my wife and I went to an empty parking lot to practice backing up. We each took turns so we would be a bit more comfortable with the process. We still have lots of practice to do but we'll get it figured out. Hopefully we won't block the ramp for too long.

Smaller trailers are tougher, I watched my father in-law struggle with a small utility trailer behind a camper van and he has almost 50 yrs experience driving a tow truck. I've seen him back many very large trucks and trailers into some tight spots before so I got a good chuckle watching him struggle with a 12' trailer that wanted to go sideways.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Last year was the first with our boat, my wife and I went to an empty parking lot to practice backing up. We each took turns so we would be a bit more comfortable with the process. We still have lots of practice to do but we'll get it figured out. Hopefully we won't block the ramp for too long.

Smaller trailers are tougher, I watched my father in-law struggle with a small utility trailer behind a camper van and he has almost 50 yrs experience driving a tow truck. I've seen him back many very large trucks and trailers into some tight spots before so I got a good chuckle watching him struggle with a 12' trailer that wanted to go sideways.
I was surprised when I bought my new boat with the much wider trailer and a good bit long how much easier it was to back it up compared to my 14'

robert graham

Admiral
Drag your rig to some deserted shopping center parking lot and practice going forward, backing up into a parking place....practice is good!....when you get the hang of it it'll be easy from then on....