Port&Starboard lights YES, stern Light NO

benningtonr

Seaman
My light switch when placed in navigation, the port and starboard lights come on but the stern light does not. When I put the switch into the anchor position the stern light works. My thought is the switch has gone defunct, but I would like some testing ideas and your thoughts on the matter before I start throwing parts at it. The stern light is brand new.

Thank

mr 88

Commander
See if your getting power to the stern light when in navigation mode. If not, check switch out, a test light will work and verify where and where not your getting 12vdc

alldodge

Staff member
You should have a double pole double throw switch with a center off position. The center terminal will have 12V on it with key on or off. One navigation should have NAV on one side and Anchor on the other. The NAV side will turn the red/green and anchor light.

The anchor side of the switch will have a jumper from the NAV side anchor to the other side. This way the anchor is turned on in either position.

My guess is either the switch went bad of corrosion and or the jumper has become disconnected

benningtonr

Seaman
You should have a double pole double throw switch with a center off position. The center terminal will have 12V on it with key on or off. One navigation should have NAV on one side and Anchor on the other. The NAV side will turn the red/green and anchor light.

The anchor side of the switch will have a jumper from the NAV side anchor to the other side. This way the anchor is turned on in either position.

My guess is either the switch went bad of corrosion and or the jumper has become disconnected

Is the Jumper built into the switch? I was just going to pull the switch and replace it.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
The jumper should be external to the switch. (from all that I have seen so far)

I doubt its the switch. I'd expect the loose connect.

NYBo

Admiral
It could also be a single pole, double throw switch, using a diode to direct electrical traffic, so to speak. If the diode goes bad, you will get the symptoms you are experiencing.

NYBo

Admiral
Here's what I mean:
Nav-AnchorSwitch.jpg

benningtonr

Seaman
i think it is a double pole double throw switch, i took all the wires off and then back on to see if it was a corrosion issue. No luck

Here is a picture of the switch connections. Nav Switch.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Need to check for 12V on both sides of the center poles of the switch. My guess is its there because the Nav lights work.
Then flip switch to anchor and check that you still have power for the anchor light. The anchor light jumper is on the bottom left to top right - green dots

12v.jpg