Fuel sender unit faulty or not on a Bayliner 642 2012

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi All

​Wonder if anyone can help! I have a Bayliner 642 2012 if must have been one of the very first boats made as it was bought at the launch (not sure if this matters) anyway my fuel gauge is not working I have checked it with a meter and am getting 35 ohms out of it, my question is what typically would be the range for these senders in the US? It has no markings on it it's just a round plate with a black connection on top which is held on by a small metal slide and a short wire with power and resistance wires.

I know these boats are made in Poland but I am hoping they have kept these components like the ones in the US for quality reasons.

Thanks for any help you can give

Rob

alldodge

Staff member
The US standard is 35 to 240 ohms for the sender, the gauge should be made to the same standard.
Gauge check
With ignition ON check for 12V on the purple wire, check for ground on Black. Ground the pink wire and the gauge should peg full.

Sender and wire check.
With ignition ON, ground the pink wire to the tank, meter should peg full. Check ground on sender and tank

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Brilliant thanks will check the gauges but it looks like a faulty sender if I am only getting 35 out with a full tank.

Fed

Commander
European gauges and senders work in reverse to American ones.

EU: Tank empty sender should read 10 Ohms. Tank full sender should read 180 Ohms.

American: Tank empty sender should read 240 Ohms. Tank full sender should read ~35 Ohms.

Due to the setup reversal testing by removing the sender wire and then testing by shorting the sender terminal the test results will be reversed.

So, disconnect the sender wire from the gauge & get a gauge reading.
Then short the gauge sender terminal to the ground terminal & get a gauge reading.
Then measure the resistance between the sender wire & ground and get a reading.
(35 Ohms with full tank at the moment?)

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Fed I just discovered what you mean by EU gauges and US being different I pulled the sender and tested it and that working perfectly so will micron to the rest and keep you updated.

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well that was an interesting day of testing!! My fat fingers blew the ignition fuse and I couldn't find it eventually after a period of time :) it was fixed and back to the fuel gauge issue!!
The fuel sender is fine and I am getting the same readings from the wires at the sender and the terminals at the gauge. Testing the gauge I am getting nothing not even a flicker so this looks like the prime suspect. Has anyone got any advice on where to source one of these? it's a Faria GS0061B Bayliner part 2102325.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Fed

Commander
So with the ignition ON with 12 Volts to the gauge and the sender wire disconnected the gauge still reads FULL, correct?

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Fed

So with ignition on the gauge reads empty before and after removing the wire. Shorting the resistance wire to ground makes no difference either. Whatever I have tried the gauge reads empty. I checked the readings at the sender and at the gauge and they both seem ok.

Fed

Commander
Did you make sure there was 12 Volts at the back of the gauge?

alldodge

Staff member
I did a google search on "Faria GS0061B" and it came back with several entries. The top one was an ebay add for $39

Salacia

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys gone the new gauge for the guy on eBay this week fitted it today and I amback up running😀
Really appreciate all the help

Thanks

Rob