Anode Hardware

jmb23802

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My VP SX outdrive leg was missing the anode when I bought our boat (the transom plate has an anode) a couple years ago and I am now getting far enough down the list of repairs to think about the anode. For background, this boat sees about 2-3 weeks of day use only per year and is put on the trailer at the end of each outing - never slipped at the marina or left in the water overnight so I am sorta on the fence about whether an anode is truly necessary or not but I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry for a few $.

The VP anode kits with the transom anode and leg anode come with hardware but the individual outdrive leg anodes (VP) apparently do not. Since I am planning on only installing the anode on the leg I will need to buy my own hardware separately. What type of hardware should I use? Is plain old stainless steel bolts ok?

Since we boat exclusively in freshwater inland lakes it will be a magnesium anode, in case that makes a difference.

Also, if you have any tips on installation process that would be great. I've never dealt with anodes before.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
In your case anodes are not necessary, because only day trips on freshwater.

thumpar

Admiral
I would still run anodes in freshwater. I have all the anodes and run a Mercathode even though my boat it a trailer queen. It is a 1996 and looks like new.

jmb23802

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the input, all.

I can see the arguments on either side about whether an anode is even necessary in my case. However, for $30 I think I will just buy one and call it a cheap insurance policy that can only save me headaches down the road and I will probably only ever need to buy this one for this boat.

Stainless steel hardware it shall be...