Why are so many boat sold with no title

divco13

Seaman
Why are so many boat sold with no title, in their own state of resident's ?

I started to repair boats and flip them. Some nice boats that need a new transom and or / floor, are a plenty here in Fl.

$ 1500 profit in a week and a half, on average. Retired and I have all the time in the world.

Can't seem to get a honest answer, why. Most boats have been registered here in Fla, still no title !

Bank lean maybe. or divorce!

I am aware the so states do not require registration. Florida does

?????????????????????

Last edited:

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
CT does not require boat titles either, I buy them sorta like you but instead of "flipping" them as a package I will do a part out, and IMO having no title makes it a lot easier. 1 wrong mark on that title and its worthless and could turn into a real PITA. The lady at the DMV told me they will start issuing title's in 2017+ in CT

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yep..depends on your state...if your state requires a title then you would be a fool to buy one without....if it turned out to be stolen the police will come and take it away and you won't get a dime. In states without title requirements then owners beware...a lot more stolen boats and motors in states without title requirements!!

tomhath

Master Chief Petty Officer
I would guess that a lot of them happen when someone buys a boat and plans to get the title transferred later, then they lose track of the seller.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
I would guess that a lot of them happen when someone buys a boat and plans to get the title transferred later, then they lose track of the seller.

gambling debts, stolen, divorce, owners died and many many other things

fhhuber

Lieutenant
If it has the state registration numbers from a state that does titles... you can find the last owner's name and address at the time it was last registered.

That doesn't mean you can find the person. But it is a start.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
In Louisiana a lot of folks don't want to spend the extra $ for a title and take the cheap way by only getting a registration. The downside to that is when you sell it you need a bill of sale that is notarized. With a title all you need is 2 witnesses.

divco13

Seaman
If it has the state registration numbers from a state that does titles... you can find the last owner's name and address at the time it was last registered.

That doesn't mean you can find the person. But it is a start.
---------------------------------------------
Not in Fla. Took reg #s to dmv, was told that is private.
She said they were not allowed by law to give out that Info!
Only that it was ,not stolen.

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
plenty of boats stolen in Florida. you can do a search on the Florida stolen property site http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/item...ayBoatSearch.a

I own a 16' aluminum runabout and trailer I keep in Florida, and my 26' Carver that resides in New York. One's insured for total $5.5K agreed replacement value, the other for $22K. Both insured with Geico. Annual insurance premiums for the two are the same. I was told by Geico that the reason is that Florida is the boat theft capital of the U.S.

If Florida issues titles for boats, you'd be pretty foolish to buy one without.

My .02

shrew

Lieutenant
If the boat is registered in Florida, then it has a title. If it's possible to register without a title in a state that requires it, then that would really be a question for the registering authority. I suspect in the case of a Florida registered boat, the owner had title and either lost it did care to look and the buyer proceeded with the transfer of ownership anyway. Shame on the buyer in that instance.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
Here in PA, does not need to be titled to be registered... if you want a title, pay the $ fill out the form and PA Boat Commission will issue one.. not necessary here.

Registering the boat is another matter. that's mandatory to be legal, (if you want to drop it in the waterways). fill out the form, pay the $, and you get registration numbers, goes by length and category of boat.

CJACAS

Recruit
Even in states where title is now required, that was not always the situation. None of my automobiles from the 1970's had a title in NY state. My 1984 boat does not have a title, and it was purchased new from an authorized dealer -- titles were not required on boats at that time.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Florida issues separate titles and registration for boats, cars, mopeds, trucks, and trailers that weigh more than 3000# empty. Florida issues registration only for trailers 2999# empty (registration serves at title for these trailers).

every boat that may see a public water way with any type of powered propulsion gets a title and registration in Florida (even a canoe with an electric trolling motor)

Florida also charges a tag fee for every license plate you need to buy as you move here from out of state.

Florida makes up for lack of income tax by taxing the sins (hobbies)

If something in Florida does not have a title or registration, it is either stolen, or from out of state and the prior owner did not register it within the 10 days that they need to. In some cases the owner is too lazy look for it.