Canvas bleed?

Star0210

Cadet
Can anybody tell me how best to deal with canvas bleed? How to remove the streaks?
Someone recommended a product called black out...has anyone used it?
Is there anyway to prevent this?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 2

alldodge

Staff member
Never seen that happen with products like sunbrella, must be the die running out. Only way I know to stop it is wait until the die gets washed out by weather or by hand. What ever you use getting it off the gelcoat will be harsh, something like bleach white which cleans white wall tires and lettering. Have not used black out

fetch

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
You might not want to hear this, but the best way to minimize streaks is to keep the hullsides waxed.
I was truly amazed at the difference after buffing and polishing a Wellcraft I had.

Star0210

Cadet
You might not want to hear this, but the best way to minimize streaks is to keep the hullsides waxed.
I was truly amazed at the difference after buffing and polishing a Wellcraft I had.

No, that is exactly what I wanted to hear. We just bought the boat...haven't even taken possession of it yet so all we can do right now is plan and make lists of what we need and want to do. Waxing is at the top of the list. The current owner washes it frequently but it hasn't been waxed in a while.
But I think I need to remove those streaks before waxing?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
two potential issues.

first, see if it is truly dye bleeding or simply black streaks (dirt). dye bleeding comes off easy with a cleaner. Black streaks requires oxalic acid cleaners

if it is dye bleeding, a bathroom cleaner with bleach will work (wear old clothes and not your new favorite Harley tee). still recommended to wax

If it is black streaks, a good hull cleaner with oxalic acid (you can mix your own), followed by waxing.

The only time I have truly witnessed dye bleeding is when I attempted to re-dye sunbrella fabric on my 28 year old top and didnt wash the top a second time :facepalm:

Star0210

Cadet
Thanks....I'll know more once we get it in our hands. I'm anxious....waiting is hard!

Thalasso

Commander
Can anybody tell me how best to deal with canvas bleed? How to remove the streaks?
Someone recommended a product called black out...has anyone used it?
Is there anyway to prevent this?

Are you referring to streakes on the boat from the canvas or just on the canvas?
If on the boat it's not dye from the material. It's dirt. There is nothing you can do about it other then wax the areas after you wash the boat

You can buy black streak remover made by Starbrite sold here on iboats. No need to be messing with oxalic acid (toilet bowl cleaner) for $10.00. Will last you all season

Last edited:

Star0210

Cadet
Are you referring to streakes on the boat from the canvas or just on the canvas?
If on the boat it's not dye from the material. It's dirt. There is nothing you can do about it other then wax the areas after you wash the boat

You can buy black streak remover made by Starbrite sold here on iboats. No need to be messing with oxalic acid (toilet bowl cleaner) for $10.00. Will last you all season

Steaks on the boat from the canvas. The current owner said it was dye bleeding out from the canvas. He said he's gotten it off before but it comes right back.
Thanks...that's the plan, get it cleaned off and then give it a good waxing.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
still looks like black streaking to me. I get the same thing and my canvas is red. comes from dirt and a porous gel surface from a bit of oxidation.