Nauticus smart tabs on 2006 Tahoe 215 deckboat 4.3 MPI installation questions

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Model I have: Nauticus SX10512-90. I've called Nauticus and got some recommendations from them, but just wanted to post a thread about it as well and see what folks think as I got the impression he wasn't too certain about the install or how well it will work for me (said I may need to go to 70lbs). My biggest concern is where to install them. He told me it would be fine to install them either way I want, but he did some more research and kind of backtracked and said to install it so I can get it on the transom more so than the swim platform part which is a bit more at the angle. Problem is if I get it on the transom I have to go about a foot and a half in from the ends. He told me it should be fine on the swim platform regardless, but I wanted to check with you guys as well.

Pictures attached that better explain the situation. Anyone else have this boat, and installed these? I seen one forum on here where a guy was having tons of issues, but my boat isn't that bad without them now. Just poor hole shot. Before I start putting holes in it I want to make sure it's done the best way possible.

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo243109.jpg
    photo243109.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo243110.jpg
    photo243110.jpg
    228.3 KB · Views: 2
  • photo243111.jpg
    photo243111.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 2
  • photo243149.jpg
    photo243149.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 2
  • photo243150.jpg
    photo243150.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 2
  • photo243151.jpg
    photo243151.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 2
  • photo243152.jpg
    photo243152.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
No Title

My boat has similar bump-outs (see picture - not my boat but the same model). I mounted the SmartTabs as far out as possible and I mounted the tops of the actuator arms to the bumped-out part of the transom. They work great. (I'm not at home, so I can't post a picture of my installation; I'll try to get a picture later.) This gives you an idea of how it can be done. Your hull looks somewhat similar, so I would guess you could do it too. (Before drilling, I actually duct-taped the actuator mounting brackets to the hull to make sure the actuators would compress and not bind at that angle. You might want to do the same.)

Hope this helps...

Attachments

• photo243159.jpg
    photo243159.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 2

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Also, on my boat, the boarding ladder was moved; it is no longer hanging off the transom. Just wanted to be clear that I didn't install the tabs over the ladder...

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Problem is if I go with right after the 1st bump outs the actuator mount will have to go on the slightly angled red part not the transom (it also comes out forward from the transom so it might put the actuator in a bad spot I'm not sure). This angle in theory shouldn't present a problem I wouldn't think though. If I go about a foot and some change in to the 2nd bump out I can get it on the transom and it's still a good ways from the lower unit. They will block my trailer straps though so not sure what to do about that.

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
No Title

Here's a picture of how mine are mounted. Don't know if that will help you...

Moving the trailer straps is no big deal. You can buy U-bolt mounted strap anchors and put them wherever you want. Or, even better, get some retractable straps (e.g., http://www.iboats.com/#.Vyqnxw7ANOw.link) and mount them wherever you want.

Attachments

• photo243177.jpg
    photo243177.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 0

shackle101

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so you got yours on the swim platform as well so I guess maybe going outside the 1st bumpout might be the best idea. Seems like your angle will be about the same as mine. I guess with the actuators they really don't put alot of stress on the hull anyways.so having the actuators at that angle doesn't seem to effect the weight required to force up? Basically do you think they are working exactly the same as they would right on the flat transom? Nice call on the ubolt anchors and retractable straps :)

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I don't know if my location for the tabs affected the strength of actuator I needed, but the tabs work very well and make a big difference in how the boat handles. They seem to do what they are supposed to be doing.