Bilge Pump and float switch

srgentpepr

Cadet
Looking to replace my pump & float switch in my engine compartment. I have a 33 foot four winns vista. My question is what is the best pump and switch combo that will turn on when the water is less than 2" in depth, also a switch that actually works great and doesn't get stuck open all the time?

thanks for any input.....

gdavis67

Recruit
Water witch is the only way to go in my opinion. No moving parts, just solid state sensors that can be located anywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Used many over the years and have not had any real issues with any of the major brands, that said installation is key!! Location, location is the big difference, currently I am using the Sahara models with the built in float switch as it kicks in at lower water levels then my previous separate float switch models. Had them for 3 yrs with no problems, turn on at about 1" and they set right on the bottom of the hull. I do keep my bilge free from debris which is a main culprit for pump/switch problems. I have not used the electronic sensor models, but a few people that are fellow boaters have not spoken highly of them but I personally can't say.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
The electronic switches draw some power almost continuously. You need to either be able to switch them off (and remember to do it) or have a constant recharge "float" source for the battery.
Not the best idea for a boat that is left floating, tied up without shore power for weeks at a time.

Mechanical switches are definitely all about installation. These don't demand power when they are not turning the pump on.
Possibly a cage of some sort over the switch to prevent (reduce) debris from getting in and interfering. That's what usually causes these to stick with the pump turned on or make them fail to turn it on... Debris in the bilge floating/sliding/rolling into the switch.

Ensure the pumps are adequate for the worst case reasonably believable failure + at least 50%... Shear of engine cooling line or whatever your largest diameter seacock goes to. (maybe if you have them... keel bolts, after seeing the video of that boat going down)
Maybe a series of pumps. Really small first to deal with something like minor rainwater, then each inch higher actuate a bigger pump. A light indicating each running pump tells you just how bad it is without even going down to look.

And keeping the bilge clean is how you prevent the pumps from getting clogged... but that 50% extra is because you can expect some clogging anyway.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I thought there were two kinds of electronic switches: one rhat tuns the pump for a few seconds every several minutes and another that uses water in the bilge to close a circuit and activate the pump. I don't believe the latter drains the battery; I have one of the latter and I have not noticed it draining the battery.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I thought there were two kinds of electronic switches: one rhat tuns the pump for a few seconds every several minutes and another that uses water in the bilge to close a circuit and activate the pump. I don't believe the latter drains the battery; I have one of the latter and I have not noticed it draining the battery.

Any devise that draws from a battery has to drain the battery eventually. I would think if not recharged whether by running the engine or recharging it with a remote charger and it's being drawn on it's going to die eventually. I know that if we have had a heavy rain I will get water in the bilge because of the way the cover is designed, which isn't good. I better get down to the slip and make sure that battery isn't dead otherwise the bilge pump will drain the battery and she's going down eventually (isn't boating fun?). A battery will drain without drawing on it due to cold weather and the life of the battery. I need to find a bilge that runs without drawing on the battery. Do you know the name of your bilge pump? I need one of them.

Last edited: