When does it finally get warm enough for swimming?

R055

Chief Petty Officer
Hey guys was wondering what your thoughts are on when it finally gets warm enough to swim. It's been about a month of warm tempertures in the 65-70's with temperatures reaching 80 about once or twice a week. Next week is looking good with all the days over 74 and 4 days around 80.

Is that warm enough to finally wakeboard/tube without a big risk of hypothermia? I'm talking about small-medium inland lakes.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Jump in and see.

There is no way to tell when the water will be warm enough to swim, too many variables. It also depends on what you can tolerate.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My kids were swimming when the water was in the low 60's but they did think it was pretty cool. We regularly are doing watersports when the water temperature is below 70. Of course, we are north of you and that is kind of a necessity, if you want to boat. I have two heaters in my boat and that helps extend the season a great deal.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Ask the guys who do the polar bear swims... they'll say "When you can make a big enough hole in the ice."

Are you going to wear a wet suit? That changes what temperature the water needs to be for you to easily tolerate long term exposure.

Is the water coming almost directly from a glacier or hundreds of miles away?

I was in the local lake Sunday... water was just fine for swimming. My lake may or may not be your lake...

southkogs

Staff member
I remember sticking it out to the bitter end to get one more ski in when I was a kid in Michigan. Now ... I sissy out long before it get's that cold. They've been skiing and tubing since mid-April here in TN.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
I was referring to lake tapps wa and lake meridian wa, lake tapps is the preferred but the water might be colder because it's bigger and is filled up every year from a water reservior.

I guess I'll see next week what's up

Old Ironmaker

Captain
when the water temps hit 75

That (75F) would be considered unsafe scalding temps by some here in Ontario Canada. Summer in Ontario starts once there is only remnants of dirty black snow in roadside ditches. I hate it when my golf ball ends up in some snow and you lose it, it costs you a stroke. But to be serious for a bit I did not use my shovel this past winter, compared to the previous 2 winters of Artic temperatures and 30 foot high snow drifts along the Erie lakeshore we needed a break. We didn't even need to go to Cuba this year, we usually go twice every winter to break it up. It is not uncommon to golf before the end of March here in southern Ontario. We do consider summer starting April 1st and ending late November. I have to shake my head sometimes when I see Sandals, T shirts and shorts and there is still some snow in ditches and some ice still on the lake and I have a toque on.

I finally get to the query and as far as asking someone when it's warm enough to partake in water sports just do the plum test for yourself. Dip the plums into the body of water in question and if they turn plum purple you may want to wait a bit.

Depending on the time one is in water and individual metabolism some individuals can show signs of hypothermia in water temps below 70F. I have felt water temps just a few feet below the surface much colder than the reported surface temperatures many times when snorkeling. Current plays a large part. We have swam in 60F water, not for long though.

Last edited:

RGrew176

Commander
For me the water has to hit a minimum of 67*F before I will jump in. 75* and above is great.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Our natural springs down here are a consistent 72 deg year round .. I don't like it much cooler than that without a wet suit ..
If you keep moving like skiing or whatever you should be ok with a bit colder temps ... Use a spring suit if it's a bit bit cold for your liking ..

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hey guys was wondering what your thoughts are on when it finally gets warm enough to swim. It's been about a month of warm tempertures in the 65-70's with temperatures reaching 80 about once or twice a week. Next week is looking good with all the days over 74 and 4 days around 80.

Is that warm enough to finally wakeboard/tube without a big risk of hypothermia? I'm talking about small-medium inland lakes.

depends...... I grew up doing the polar plunge a few times in Lake Michigan. I now live off the gulf of Mexico in Florida. It all depends on what you are used to. When i was younger, it was also wet suits to water ski. Now I wait for the water temp to be above 80

oldjeep

Admiral
when the water temps hit 75

Lol, that would be July if ever around here. The one time I was in a southern state skiing I couldn't believe how awful 80+ degree water felt for watersports.

All depends on you though. For me, 60 is fine with just a lifejacket and 50 with a short suit.

southkogs

Staff member
The one time I was in a southern state skiing I couldn't believe how awful 80+ degree water felt for watersports.
When I first moved down here, the first time I was ever on the lake fishing I was with a buddy in July. We went out early, and by 10:30AM it was ridiculously hot (especially for a guy who just moved from Michigan that Fall). So, I reeled in, shed my shirt and shoes and hurled myself over the side of the boat to "cool off."

I hit water that was (in my opinion at the time) warm enough to be broth!! Almost 20 years later, I'm still not quite used to water that warm when I want a summer cool down swim.

drrpm

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Competition pools maintain a temperature of 77-82 degrees Farenheit, most people consider that pretty cool. Beyond that it depends on personal preference and toughness. We never checked the water temperature with a thermometer when I was boating in Wisconsin (1970's and 80's) now you can check on line. For me anything above 70 is OK but the kids whine if it isn't at least 80.