Delving Into First Time Boat Ownership

ocubed

Recruit
Hello-

After extensive thought and lots of varied advice I decided to come here.

My spouse and I are ready to buy a boat in the next year. We are located in northern Virginia. We plan on docking the boat in the Chesapeake Bay. Our ideal boat would be something we can invite 6-10 friends over and enjoy a day on the water. We want a boat that sleeps at least 4 adults comfortably. I would also like something we can spend an extended period on (up to a week) on comfortably. I have found several boats online with two staterooms and two heads that look very appealing.

We think we can spend up to 60k on a boat. We have taken slip fees, insurance, fuel, and maintenance costs into account. We know this is going to be expensive but we truly enjoy being on the water.

Questions-
Is this too much take on for a first time boat owner?
How much should we budget for general maintenance yearly?
What can we do to increase our knowledge about boats/boating in general?
We have a young child who will be almost 2 by the time we are ready to buy. Can he safely be on the boat with us by that time?
What other things should we take into consideration?

If you have read all of this thank you!

jbcurt00

Staff member
1: probably a bit
2: twice your best estimate of costs
3: find a close friend w a big boat and spemd lots of time on the water w them and take a boating safety course
4: yes, lots of toddlers (in appropriate PFDs) aboard a wide range of boats and boat sizes.
5: spend lots of time on boating forum sites, esp this one :)

:welcome: to iboats

southkogs

Staff member
Maybe look at taking some courses and renting a couple of times before you buy. That may help answer a few questions and add some experience to the mix.

Welcome aboard.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
hello and welcome aboard,,,your jumpin right into the deep end of the pool.
As jbcurt & southkogs say,,,,experience and classes,,,plenty of time at the docks and boat shows to fine tune your interest,
As many rides possible on varying sizes and models may help as well,,,review cost / maintenance and fuel costs.
best of luck!!
Lance

tpenfield

Staff member
Yup, deep end of the pool for sure.

I think you would be looking at a 28-30 foot boat for your people and sleeping capacity. Probably twin engines.
$60K is not a bad budget for something in the 5-10 year old range.
Depending if you are a good wrench turner or not, you might spend between $3k and $6k a year for maintenance storage, slip/mooring, etc.

Take the Coast Guard Auxilliary safe boating course, both you and the 'Admiral'.
Child wears PFD 150% of the time, but should be fine.

Tell us about any prior boating experience/knowledge that you have. Got friends who are boaters?

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I think you would be looking at a 28-30 foot boat for your people and sleeping capacity. Probably twin engines.
Depending if you are a good wrench turner or not, you might spend between $3k and $6k a year for maintenance storage, slip/mooring, etc.
Take the Coast Guard Auxilliary safe boating course, both you and the 'Admiral'.

Ted, I think you meant to say, 'take the United States Power Squadrons safe boating course' :joyous:

Otherwise, agree, though I'd raise the annual budget by a thousand or two. I'd also be setting aside at least $5K of that purchase money to address stuff that'll have to be taken care of before the boat is put into service. It's the nature of the beast when you buy a used boat.

Ocubed, everything these guys have told you is 100% on the mark. You're looking at a largish boat for a first-timer. Two friends of mine started with 27' and 30' respectively. They both got the hang of it (and you will, too), but it took time, and they did a bit of damage to the boats in the process. Hire a Captain to help you get some hands-on experience with whatever boat you buy. It'll cost a few bucks, but 10 hours of mentoring will go a long way.

My .02

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I have found several boats online with two staterooms and two heads that look very appealing.

I'm thinking the OP is looking at something significantly larger! Maybe 40+ class?

In any case, if you have no prior boating experience, you may be biting off way more than you can chew. Walk before you run. Find a smaller boat that you can enjoy with your family, and although the picture perfect idea of you and a bunch of friends hanging out on the water seems ideal, it rarely happens like that. You may find that your current friends don't have boats for a reason, they are not 'boat people'. They will come out once a year, maybe...

ocubed

Recruit
Thank you for all the responses. I'm getting really good, practical advice.

We have limited boating experience at best.

We mostly get invited on our friends boats to hang out for the day or go fishing. None of them currently have boat that is suitable for overnight excursions. We have rented small boats(around 20ft) from the state park. We have been tuna fishing on a large boat. We have taken some sailing classes but ultimately decided sailboats are not for us. Our friend used to own a 32ft Wellcraft that we really enjoyed. He sold the boat. We are always renting boats or waiting to be invited on someone's boat. I think we would really enjoy our own boat.

smokingcrater- I do not want to get anything bigger than around 36 feet. Something in the 40 foot class and above is something we hope to buy when we are ready for retirement to live aboard. I think you are right and we should be open to something smaller as well. We are keeping our options open.

JoLin- I never thought to hire a Captain. It seems so obvious now but that is a really good suggestion.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Taking classes is great but nothing beats time at the helm. I would consider taking some fenders and attaching anchors to them set up 5 of them the size of a slip or in any config then practice moving around them in every way you can reasonably think of. Also never go at something faster than you are willing to hit it.

tpenfield

Staff member
Ted, I think you meant to say, 'take the United States Power Squadrons safe boating course' :joyous:

Actually, I like the USGC Aux course better, whatever it is called . . . I think it is called 'boating skill and seamanship' or something like that . . . :)

CJACAS

Recruit
To have the ability to fit 6-10 friends on the boat for a day, or sleep 4 I think you need a boat bigger than 28-30 feet to do it comfortably. Sure there are boats that size that you can find 4 bunks that technically have sufficient space and carrying capacity to fit 6-10 additional friends on, but not very comfortably. I think $60K is not sufficient to buy a boat to do all of that comfortably for passengers and sleeping people.

thumpar

Admiral
One thing to keep in mind is that your first boat is more of a learning experience. You will find things that you want different as you go. I would keep the budget down for now. You can find something a little older and then sell it later for what you paid for it and get the boat you KNOW you want. I spent 7 years on my first boat figuring out what I wanted on my "forever" boat. It sold for more than I paid.

ocubed

Recruit
One thing to keep in mind is that your first boat is more of a learning experience. You will find things that you want different as you go. I would keep the budget down for now. You can find something a little older and then sell it later for what you paid for it and get the boat you KNOW you want. I spent 7 years on my first boat figuring out what I wanted on my "forever" boat. It sold for more than I paid.

​This is great advice, thanks.

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer
"It's like driving a really big Pinto!"
Reminds me of when I got slid into the lake while at the helm of the SkipperLiner for the first time. Biggest boat I'd ever driven until then was our SunRunner 252 and the Party Cruiser... I backed up, turned it around, and Captain Ron'd it against the dock like I'd done it 1000 times...I've probably never parked it that smoothly since! ;)

Our new-to-us Regal is 28' x 10' wide, it'll probably do okay with 12 people, but it would be tight fitting everyone in the cockpit area. I believe it will seat 10 'comfortably', 5 in back, 3 on the port side, 2 at the helm. After that, it would be tight, even with the 10' beam. And even though I've driven the SkipperLiner around for 10 years, the Regal is a bit intimidating. But then, I haven't tried to unload, park, or trailer it yet- which is the hardest to-do items with a big boat. Driving one around, no problem! :)

Costs- I've always winterized and maintained the SkipperLiner, our previous Chap 260ssi and 17' Babyliner, and our 40' Allegro bus myself. Probably saves me around $2000 a year or more. It's how I can afford fuel to use 'em! ;)

Know this, a big boat will have it's hair raising and hair pulling moments, whether first boat or twenty-first boat. And I'll never try to talk anyone out of one. Just have patience, be careful, and enjoy!

ocubed

Recruit
I wanted to come back to give an update.

We've taken everything that was recommended into consideration. We are planning on getting a cutwater boat. Probably the 26.

The boat will be much more than what we initially wanted to spend but what we can still comfortably afford. A family member of mine just died of cancer and it really puts things in perspective. We plan on buying in the next 6 to 12 months.

Thank you for all the advice. I will post pictures once we pull the trigger.