Reliability of old slick craft boats

newboater123

Recruit
Hello everyone, this is my first time writing one of these so take it easy please haha. I am looking to buy a boat and am currently looking at a 1970's slick craft boat, how reliable and good really are these boats? Would it be worth $1,100? That price includes a motor, and a trailer. I know it depends a little on how well maintained it was, but just some general advice would be great. Thanks

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

How reliable do you want. It's 40 years old and I guess it still floats.

After 40 years it comes down to condition and maintenance. It depends on these two things more than anything else at this point in it's life.

Need some pictures or a link to an ad to give any kind of opinion on price.

jbcurt00

Staff member
IMO, for a nearly 50yr old boat, nothing matters besides condition, no matter the maker.

For 1K, you should expect it needs quite a bit, no matter what the seller says.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You didn't say what model (which doesn't make that much of a difference), but the reliability is based on the motor, which has little to do with the brand of boat, and everything to do with the brand of motor.

newboater123

Recruit
You didn't say what model (which doesn't make that much of a difference), but the reliability is based on the motor, which has little to do with the brand of boat, and everything to do with the brand of motor.
. I'm not sure what the model is... But the motor is a 70 horsepower. What other info do you need?

jbcurt00

Staff member
70hp outboard?

Chrysler?

Mercury?

Mariner?

Johnson/Evinrude?

newboater123

Recruit
Welcome aboard.

How reliable do you want. It's 40 years old and I guess it still floats.

After 40 years it comes down to condition and maintenance. It depends on these two things more than anything else at this point in it's life.

Need some pictures or a link to an ad to give any kind of opinion on price.
Here are some pics

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    97.7 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
That's a good outboard if it's in good shape. Your biggest concern for a boat like that one is what kind of condition the transom and stringers are in, and if you're not sure how to check them it may be worth hiring a marine tech to look at it for you. If it runs and floats, that could be an $1,100 boat.

As JB said, it's all about condition.

newboater123

Recruit
That's a good outboard if it's in good shape. Your biggest concern for a boat like that one is what kind of condition the transom and stringers are in, and if you're not sure how to check them it may be worth hiring a marine tech to look at it for you. If it runs and floats, that could be an $1,100 boat.

As JB said, it's all about condition.

Keeping in mind the trailer would it be a good price?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Not really a good price, if there's any rotten wood in the boat, and there normally is in a boat that old, you may need to put another $1000 or more into it, plus many weeks of of work. The good thing is that it's a simple design to do that type of work on,

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
When you look at it, check for any signs of soft spongy spots in the floor. Also put your weight on the motor and see if the transom flexes. Should be very minimal to no flex.

As others mentioned, that price could be fair, or a complete rip off, all depending on the above...

southkogs

Staff member
I should have been more clear too. By "runs and floats" I mean it's ready to use. Maybe not clean, but it is safe and works (for the most part). At that point, boat motor and trailer are in that $1,000 range. If you could get it cheaper, you wouldn't be out of line. If it cost you all $1,100 bucks you're not really being "taken to the cleaners."

If the hull needs rebuilt or the motor doesn't run, or it's one of those "... just needs _________ and it'll be a great boat ..." boats, then the most reasonable price is closer to $0.

Trailers are pretty easy to rehab. Even I can work on most of 'em :D

Condition dictates value in old boats.