1996 bravo 3 limiter blocks

scott russell

Recruit
I need some help I have a Bravo 3 outdrive its a 1996 I heard that there were a couple years and they are where they had problems with the limiter blocks they break the upper portion of the outdrive this happen to me and I had welded a piece back on and that had started to crack again ICU online limiter blocks that are not the aluminum like the ones I have on my boat for like 1998 how are my limiter blocks supposed to function are they supposed to be stationary in a certain position or are they do they move I've seen different forms that said they are loose or move so I have taken them out now and deciding to whether I'm going to put them back in or can I use another Year's version of the limiter blocks that aren't the aluminum can I just the limiter on the trim to only go down to a certain distance does anyone have any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated

thumpar

Admiral
Are you talking about the pieces that the trim ram rear pin goes through? Those are the same on all Bravos it is just the direction they are put in that changes.

scott russell

Recruit
Yes. The design were for only 2 years around 96. They are flat on the back side and are notched in the front. They are loose. Are they supposed to be fixed or floating

thumpar

Admiral
They are not fixed. For b1 and 2 they go in different than the 3.

scott russell

Recruit
Bravo 3

I have posted a couple of times about a 96 bravo 3 outdrive limiter blocks. They are three
Old style that are alum 1x2 inch. I have taken them out. Do I have to reinstall the snap ring
on the bolt that runs between the trim cylinders

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... I think yer drive is gonna be jumpin', slammin', 'n clunkin', if ya don't use the celery stalks,....

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Here is you first thread
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/gene...e-topics/10169985-1996-bravo-3-limiter-blocks

Didn't notice it at the time or would have commented. there are two issues your dealing with first gen (for lack of a better term) Bravo 3 drives. The limit blocks limit the drive from being trimmed in. Unlike the B1 or B2 drives, the B3 creates more lift the other two. This extra lift causes the drive to be trimmed in more the a B1 or B2 at high speeds (WOT or close to).

When the drive is trimmed in close and if the wheel is turned s bit hard, the boat will roll on it's side. The boat will not roll over, but it turns so fast that the driver can be thrown out or to one side of the boat.

The other issue is the original Bravo bell housing needed reliefs cut into them because the drive could trim up high enough to brake the housing on the gimbal ring U-bolt nuts. The 2nd gen housing had reliefs cut into them to keep this from happening.

My recommendation is do not remove the blocks. Next raise the drive to where it is close to the U-bolt nuts. Mark the spots and bring drive down and remove it. Then take a drill and cut a grove in the top as shown below in the pic.

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Fun Times

Staff member
The trim in limit blocks are a little loose fitting around the front trim pin but with them being loose can become a problem should they ever turn like they have been known to do in the past. The letters A and B should remain in the up position towards the gimbal ring.

The following link/blog provides some really good info with photos and some links to Mercruiser's service bulletins about this problem....http://www.crownline.net/limiterbloc...iterblocks.htm

Thanks AD for finding the last one. To help keep things in order, I moved the new posts over to the original topic.