Another new boat - 1993 Bayliner Classic Hardtop 2452 w/ repowered 5.7L Merc

jkaczman

Cadet
Hi All,

Another new bayliner for me (My 6th I think?) This one is a super clean 1993 Bayliner Classic 2452, with a repowered 5.7L Merc with under 30 hours on it. I bought it off the original owner, and got it for a steal. The engine literally looks and sounds like new, as does the outdrive. The hull is spotless, possibly one of the best I've ever seen out here in Cleveland and Lake Erie. Having owned previously 2 smaller open bow and cuddy capris, an 84 Ciera Sunbrdige 27' and a 89 Ciera Sunbridge 2755, among a few others, this is by far my favorite.

Here are some pictures:

I have a few questions, maybe some of the members can help out with.

It's missing the snap in covers for the giant front windows. Anyone know where to find them? Maybe some generic Velcro replacements? Suggestions?

Also cannot find a cover to cover the deck. Typing in bayliner classic or 2452 returns NO results on ebay for parts :-\

The captains seat and the port side front seat are damaged, as is the port side antenna. Any idea if thats the VHF radio or music antenna?

I cant believe there are no speakers on the deck. I'll be adding those, should I do a sound bar across the hard top? Where to cut in a subwoofer?

I really want a swim platform, but I'm not spending $1800 on one.

Any other suggestions for upgrades or retrofits? Any idea how big the fuel tank is? I cannot find this information ANYWHERE!

thanks to everyone, and I look forward to being an active member of the community!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
have the covers made locally by the local canvas guy

make a swim platform, about $500 in materials and about 40 hours of time

JoLin

Vice Admiral
My Carver had Velcro'd shades for the front windows. After awhile, Velcro loses its 'stick' and generally starts to look like crap. The covers were pretty worn and frayed anyway, so I made new ones that snap to studs I mounted around the window frame on the inside of the cabin. They also roll up, so I don't have to remove and store them when I want them out of the way. I won't lie- it wasn't an easy job, even with the old ones to use as templates. My windows are trapezoidal instead of square or rectangular, so they were tough to fit.

My friends with Siverton and Trojan boats have Sunbrella curtains that snap on from outside the cabin, and they're only taken down for winter storage. That seems to be the norm on the bigger boats.

BTW, that Classic is one of my favorite boats. I've looked at 'em twice when boat shopping (for my last Four Winns and the current Carver), but it was just a little small for I wanted to do. Best of luck with the boat- she looks like a beauty.

Last edited:

jkaczman

Cadet
Hi guys. A bunch more pictures, a bunch more questions. The first thing I really regret is somehow I missed that this 1993 2452 doesn't have shore power. I saw so many 2452's with shore power I immediately assumed they all were equipped! The best kit to add shore power appears to be

https://www.ezacdc.com/boat-wiring-p...l-shore-power/

Any other suggestions? Suggestions for a battery charger once I get that installed?

First, and most importantly, after I raise and lower the outdrive, I'm getting this leak of green oily type fluid. Im assuming its hydraulic fluid, and I'm assuming its leaking when engaged up or down. After a few drips, it goes away completely. Then it leaks again after I engage the outdrive trim. Anyone seen this before? The leak does appear to be coming from the direct center as shown....

Next is this sport pilot+ and all these crazy electronics I'm going to take out. Any idea what any of this crap is, or if its worth anything? I sure hope removing it from the steering isnt a chore.

Next is the seat missing on the port side. And 4 holes in the fiberglass. I want to do the flip back seat as mentioned a few posts above by Randy. For the drivers seat, I'll probably use one of these for the captains chair, as it folds down and away:

http://www.************/Tempress-High...product/30333/

Next major issue is this distintgrating wood under the hard top. I dont know that i've ever seen more frail wood in my life. I dont even know what to do here, or where to begin. Luckily, it looks like this part of the top unbolts from the glass section, so hopefully this isnt that big of an issue. I do want to put waterproof speakers at the back side of the roof as well.

Next, I'm missing the attachment for the windows inside the cabin, and I am missing the hardware that holds the windows closed on the main deck. Port and starboard windows, the little pieces that hold the triangle glass shut. Any idea where to get?

These were stored inside the littlest area in the cabin. They are completely destroyed, and I mean gone. Any idea what this canvas is, or where it attaches to?

Last, the prop is a little dinged up. The boat has a repowered 5.7L Mercruiser engine with 30 hours on it and an alpha one out drive. Ive seen so many prop suggestions for this setup, but is there a unified choice among the members here?

Last edited:

JoLin

Vice Admiral
The electronics are older than the Bayliner. Loran was a position locating system using radio beacon triangulation that pre-dated GPS. The beacons were erected by the USCG, which decommissioned the system nationwide 4 or 5 years ago. It's worthless- throw it away, and the antenna for it too. The Micronar and Eagle are depth finders, and the Uniden- beats me. Another depth finder? Electronic compass? Radio direction finder (1960's tech)?

Autohelm is an auto pilot system, but it needs to interface to a radar that you don't have.

The shore power system in your link looks like it'll work. A little pricey but not excessive. I installed a compete 30-amp system to drive my new air conditioner for about $400.00. The 'corrosion protection' (galvanic isolator) option is a must.

Forget about the prop for now. Get the boat in usable condition, then figure out what you need. There's no unified choice- you need to test the boat with the current prop. If it turns out to be the right size, it can be reconditioned by a prop shop. That ding isn't severe.

The canvas is an enclosure for the hardtop/helm area. Nice to have.

Last edited:

jkaczman

Cadet
The electronics are older than the Bayliner. Loran was a position locating system using radio beacon triangulation that pre-dated GPS. The beacons were erected by the USCG, which decommissioned the system nationwide 4 or 5 years ago. It's worthless- throw it away, and the antenna for it too. The Micronar and Eagle are depth finders, and the Uniden- beats me. Another depth finder? Electronic compass? Radio direction finder (1960's tech)?

Autohelm is an auto pilot system, but it needs to interface to a radar that you don't have.

The shore power system in your link looks like it'll work. A little pricey but not excessive. I installed a compete 30-amp system to drive my new air conditioner for about $400.00. The 'corrosion protection' (galvanic isolator) option is a must.

Forget about the prop for now. Get the boat in usable condition, then figure out what you need. There's no unified choice- you need to test the boat with the current prop. If it turns out to be the right size, it can be reconditioned by a prop shop. That ding isn't severe.

The canvas is an enclosure for the hardtop/helm area. Nice to have.

Thanks for the response. I pulled all the garbage electronics out. I have updates coming in a second.

jkaczman

Cadet
So i guess this is my build thread now. Here are some pictures and modifications i've completed thus far:

Here are some pictures of the outside all the way around. As you can see, its extremely clean, with no damage, no bottom paint, etc. Sitting on a tandem trailer with electronic brakes:

We took the hardtop off. Stripped all the garbage wood, refinished it and polished it. Added new LED lights and fans. More on that later.

The outdrive was leaking. Turned out to be some of the seals in it. So I replaced all the seals on the outdrive, got a new prop, did a complete oil change, impeller, and while I was at it changed out the ignition rotor, cap, plugs, and wires. We put on a new alternator and belt because the one that was on it was pretty crusty.

Next was the hard top. Took it off, stripped all wood off, refinished it. Plastidipped it, then painted white. Installed 2x 7" fans, 3" red/white LED fixtures, etc. Not sure how I missed pictures, but I bought the Ezacdc shore power kit, and installed it. I opted for the kit with 3 sets of outlets, one on the panel inside the cabin, one by the batteries, and one by the seats. I got a galvanic isolator, a prosport 20 for the batteries, and a 25' shore power cable.

Next were the smart trim tabs from nauticus inc, new transducer for the Garmin DV73, and prop.

Now, I have some questions. Where can I get replacement handle/latches for the glass on the hard top? They are broken off and I only have stupid zip ties here:

And how about replacement handles for the sliding glass inside the cabin? Any idea where to get? The round knobs that you use to open and close it.

What are people doing for replacement seats for the captains chair and next to it? That should be all the questions for now. Thanks everyone and hope you enjoyed the modifications so far!

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Nice work. Try great lakes skipper or on the bayliner owner club forum they have a parts swap forum.

jkaczman

Cadet
Here is this weeks updates on my 2452 -

First, I am repainting the dash. So I figured now would be as good of a time as ever to order a new dash panel, have it custom made, laser engraved and extended. Thanks to aplusmobilegraphics.com. I am getting new gauges, adding a trim gauge (I see the two wires coming off sensors on the outdrive, any idea hwo to connect them?) adding another gauge (any suggestions?) going with new style switches (Does anyone know a good source for the Contura horizontal switch assemblies? I see the whole units but they are always labeled and vertical.) and adding a 3" dual radio with a dual 12v/USB outlet below it.

Carb was dirty. Decided to have it removed and rebuilt.

Got rid of all garbage electronics... got a new ship to shore and 7" garmin gps/chartplotter etc.

Next big project was to remove these stupid horrible looking decals and pinstripes and replace them with somethign newer. I decided to keep the 2 blue stripes, and I painted over the red stripe. I have new decals coming in... I think you will like them. Also had entire boat buffed and waxed (boy, detailer did NOT like that.)

Next was the sound system. I went with:
dual 3" in dash bluetooth touch screen radio
MB QUART NA710.5 710 Watt RMS 5-Channel Nautic Series Marine Amp
4x MB QUART NKF116 6.5 100 Watt 2-Way Nautic Marine Boat Audio Speakers
MB QUART NW1-254 MB Quart Nautic Series Marine-Certified 10" 600-Watt Shallow Mount Sub

Ordered a bunch of Starboard and am going to redo the captains chair seating area. And both side panels. Oh yeah, new seats too:

Now its time for some questions. Does anyone know what this is? I thought a flag holder, but it says Perko and has maybe a 2" inside diameter? Is it a rod holder or something? it has no wires or anything going to it. Shouldnt a stern light be there?

Any idea where to get these replacement metal pieces that run along side each rail? I want to get rid of all this fishing crap.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
Awesome thread love all the pics, yes the "perko" is a fishing pole holder. My boat has 4 of them. They work great if you're into fishing

gztoyz

Recruit
I just picked up a Bayliner 2252 and cant wait to get some of the same things done that you took care of. keep the pics coming.

jkaczman

Cadet
So yeah, I am too busy to separate the pictures for this weeks update. so I'll describe it, and post the pictures below.

First off, turns out the boat needed new intake gaskets and a carburetor. Bit the bullet and bought a jet marine one, and felpro gaskets.

Also needed 2 new marine batteries. So I got 2 new marine batteries.

Next few updates show new MB quart speakers going in, decided to ugprade the GPS/Nav to the Echomap 7" 73dv, and got replacement starboard for the side panels and seat placement.

Couple new LED/Dome light white/red lights to replace all the lights, and then all the work to cut them to fit, smooth the edges, cut speaker holes, etc.

next set of pictures show all lights going in, they look great.

Pictures after that show all 4 speakers installed, as well as subwoofer, seat bottom, and amp. And radio in place of the old speedometer.

WHAT A PROJECT.

jkaczman

Cadet
This weeks updates, nearing completion:

Have the new decals on. I custom made the Bayliner splash decals. I love them. I also ran a single strand of pinstripping where the old red white and blue pinstripe was... we followed the Blue/black scheme throughout the boat. it looks awesome. I ordered new identification numbers and a name for the boat.

Updated the transom lights with LEDs... the one on the transom and the two facing the deck. Boy are they bright.

Finally got both new seats and swivels in. Finally set up brackets and starboard for the captains chair. Mounted a new ship to shore radio. Repainted the dash and all window trim. Feel like i've been working on this thing every day for months. Finally taking it out on the water tomorrow.

jkaczman

Cadet
So after months of doing a renovation on this boat, I finally put it in the water yesterday. I fire it up... and it sounds like rocks rattling around in the port side exhaust tube from the engine to the outdrive. It makes a flapping or rattling noise. I have no clue what it could be. It doesnt change with acceleration or if the gear is in drive or not, but it sounds bad enough not to take it out.

Any suggestions? here is a video, but it is pretty hard to hear. It literally sounds like rocks rattling around inside an exhaust pipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwnsQOum_a8

gddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is "water shutter" that sits at the top of each side of the exhaust Y pipe, as I recall it is thin metal coated in rubber and they prevent water from back flowing into the manifold. Iboats has there here: http://www.iboats.com/Mercruiser-Wat...view_id.268813

If the motor has been overheated, the rubber melts/fall off and comes out of the exhaust, leaving the metal in place to rattle against the y-pipe. I guess the rubber could have degraded an fallen off with age.

Last edited:

jkaczman

Cadet
So it has been quite a while since I updated, but it looks like I am done with the renovations and upgrades for the season. No, I still havn't take it on the water yet.

Complete Renovation of this Bayliner Hardtop Includes:
Repowered 5.7L Mercruiser 350 out of a 2004 Scarab
Rebuilt upper/lower Alpha One outdrive w/ Performance Prop
Nauticus Smart SX10512-90 Automatic Trim Tabs
Added Complete EZACDC 30 Amp Shore Power w/ 6 indoor/outdoor outlets & Galvanic Isolator
Hardtop Disassembled, replaced, repainted
All Overhead lights converted to switchable White/Red LEDs
2x Cockpit 2 Speed Marine Fans
New blue/white marine waterproof swivel marine chairs
MB Quart 5 Channel NA710.5 710 Watt amplifier, 4GA Wire Amp Kit
4x MB Quart 6.5? 2 Way Speakers, NW1-254 10? 600-Watt Waterproof Speakers
Dual In Gauge In Dash Bluetooth Marine Radio
Furion USB Dashboard Outlet / DC Outlet
New laser engraved extended dashboard From aplusmobilegraphics
NEW Led Backlit Faria Chesapeake SS White w/ Blue Marine Gauges
New LED Carling Contura III Sealed Rocker Switches Retrofit
New Style Bayliner Decals, Stripes, and all Lettering
Garmin Echomap 7? 73DV w/ Fish Finder, Scanning Sonar, Chartpotter & GPS w/ transducer installed
Westmarine Ship to Shore Radio Installed
All leather / vinyl wooden pieces replaced with custom cut and rounded Starboard
Captains Chair custom laid starboard w/ 2 hinges and support swing leg
Prosport 20 smart switching dual battery bank charger installed
All navigation lights upgraded to 2 mile LED, inside and out

Repairs / Upgrades Performed late 2016:
2 New Marine Batteries
Resealed All Windows
All Wiring on Boat Replaced / Verified
Dashboard Stripped / Repainted
New Ignition / Safety Switch
New Alternator, New Starter, New Carburetor, Plugs, Wires, Rotor & Cap, Exhaust Flappers/Vaves
New Painted Exhaust Vents & Tubing
New Blower
All new dock line & Safety equipment, 14lb upright anchor

Trailer is a 10,000 lb tandem dual axle bunk trailer with heavy reinforced steel beams, electronic brakes, new wiring & LED lights, w/ nice tires.

No expense was spared in this complete upgrade, overhaul, and renovation.

Jarcher3

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wow looks nice and clean. the new gauge panel looks really great in there and a ver nice upgrade from what was there before.

Did you get the motor issue solved or is that the reason for a lack of a splash?