aluminum boats in saltwater

jchrans

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone...I am rather new to boating and I am interested in purchasing a 1997 17' Starcraft Starfire. My question is since the boat is aluminum can I keep the boat in a saltwater boat slip for a season. I know I would have to paint the bottom of the boat, but will the saltwater environment hurt the boat? Is this boat really just a freshwater boat? Thanking you in advance for all your help.

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander
Re: aluminum boats in saltwater

A friend of mine had a beand new aluminum 18 footer, mostly freshwater but he dropped it in the bay just for a few day trips and everything in sight and most of what was not was corroded green by the end of the year. Wasn't designed for the marine environment. With a lot of prep you might be OK, you do see aluminum pontoons here in the water all year, but I'd be very very careful.

jchrans

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks so much for your input. I love the boat but I am scared of the aluminum. I am used to fiberglass boats. Not sure if I want to take the risk. Thanks again.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Speak to the owner of the marina, he should be able to advise you. <br /><br />The sacraficial anodes are different between salt and fresh, shore power leakage is also an issue in a wet berth. <br /><br />A dry 'pigeon hole' berth is a far better option for an alloy boat - wash down before storing.<br /><br />Aldo