Just purchased my first Alumacraft.

daanbc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello all, Today my son and I made a purchase on a boat again. I say again because I had some in the past. When I was 14 I had a 15 foot 1957 MFG fiberglass hull with a 1957 35 hp Lark. I also had a 2007 Bowrider byliner with a I/O 4cyl mercruiser. Today we purchased a 1993 Alumacraft competitor, From the original owner from Minnisota. Its in mint new condition with a 1993 60 HP VRO tiller. It was just to good a deal to pass up in the condition it's in. The older gentleman had to sell due to his wife having MS. This is the first aluminum boat i've owned. Anything special to look out for or do? Thanks.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Generally the aluminum hulls in this size range are easier to fix if you run into wood rot... and they need less power for the same size (due to lower weight).

Not as much weight to smooth out the ride so it will not be as smooth on choppy water.

Don't use green or brown treated wood for repairs if/when needed.

Keep an eye on the VRO pump. Watch for plastic cracking due to age.

daanbc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you. I heard a lot of bad about the VRO units. But the gentleman said he has never had a problem with it. The motor has been serviced regularly too. I hear the VRO unit can cost $400. And read that a lot of people have just bypassed them. I will keep an eye out for it. Is there any place I can get a manuel or instruction booklet on the 93 boat?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
That's a nice rig. should serve you well. Wouldn't worry too much about that VRO, just have the alarms tested.

daanbc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hope these come thru:

Attachments

• Boat 1.PNG
    Boat 1.PNG
    417.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 3.JPG
    Boat 3.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 4.PNG
    Boat 4.PNG
    381.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 7.JPG
    Boat 7.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat 6.JPG
    Boat 6.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 1

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Alarms in the engine that are supposed to go off in case of an oil injection problem. (low oil in tank and oil pump failure)

I'm not sure of how to test them.

Yes, the VRO pumps are about $400to $450. Replacement with the older non injection pump(s) is a lot cheaper.

While the VRO works its a good system. The 20+ yr old pumps failing from age is the issue. Keep an eye on it. You can usually see plastic cracking before they fail. If the plastic isn't cracked and you have an issue the pump can sometimes be repaired.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Seems I have misplaced my manual that has the procedure yet I'm sure if you do a quick web search you'll be able to find the tests. Most problems with the VRO systems was with the early 1st. generation models. Biggest and most common issue is with the hoses getting old and cracking.

That is a nice looking rig.

daanbc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you, will do (look on the web) for info on checking alarms.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Never mind, deleted my stupid question...lol

Last edited:

daanbc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Okay, just found out my horn does not work. So I really can't test for any alarm. I have a 93 Alumacraft 165 competitor with 60 HP Evinrude TILLER. Is the horn located behind the mini dash with the speedo and tach gauge? Or is it somewhere else? Thank you.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
The horn you use while under way, is separate from the alarm buzzer/beeper. The buzzer is usually a smaller unit about the diameter of a golf ball or so. but flat like a hockey puck. The regular horn should look like a car horn ,both should be in the helm area on that style of boat. Then again, some have the beeper built into the shift lever unit.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
daanbc it may be beneficial to try and locate an OMC service/repair manual for that engine. Ebay would be a good place to start. The manual that I have for my 50hp VRO engine has about 12 pages just on service, maintenance and testing of the VRO system. It can get quite involved to do it correctly. From the experience I have is that if it is maintained properly it is a very reliable system. Sure it may be more work with maintenance than just running premix but if you're using a large permanent tank it's much simpler than trying to figure ratios when you just want to top off a tank.

daanbc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yeah already have been on the look out for an original manuel.

daanbc

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just got one off the bay, Thanks? 1993 EVINRUDE JOHNSON OUTBOARD SERVICE MANUAL 60 THRU 70 HP MODELS.