1970s Cruiser's Inc 19ft Advice Please

Bumbling Boater

Recruit
Years ago, my uncle bought an early 70's Cruiser Inc, 19 ft fiberglass with a Mercruiser 165 hp. It's a 250 GM in-line 6, i/o, modified tri-hull with cuddy-cabin.
From what I understand, the boat ran fine when parked.
He had high hopes for it but health problems caught up with him. It wound up sitting in the drive way -- for 7 years and fully exposed.
He gave it to me several weeks ago, and I tried to give it away -- minus the trailer.
The whackos and nut-cases came out of the woodwork -- so I decided to keep it.
I'm in the process of evaluating the engine, unable to get the crank to turn from the front end.
I removed the plugs and sprayed down the cylinders -- and let is soak for several days.
The belt slips and the bolt in the balancer is too small to use.
I'll be removing the starter to pry on the flywheel.
Now, after reading a bit, and being a complete amateur with boats, I'm worried that the wood backbone of the boat is likely soaked and rotten.
The boat has good lines and no structural damage. It's also nearly complete.
I'd need to install an ignition switch, a battery and seats would be needed.
If the motor isn't seized and there are no freeze damage, it may come alive.
But if so, with a (likely) rotten core, am I wasting my time?

Let's say the motor fires up and runs -- and the final drive works. What's the (potential) danger of putting it in the water and taking it for a cruise?
Is it possible for the boat to literally fold up, develop a major crack and/or come apart?

I'm not working on a masterpiece. The boat is vintage from stem to stern -- and essentially complete and original.
I didn't bite off too much as there has been no cost -- so far. And the boat might be nice for outings on the river.
I just worry about practical matters, like swimming to shore from a sinking boat.

Any advice? Thanks so much for any thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_1533.jpg
    IMG_1533.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1571.jpg
    IMG_1571.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1578.jpg
    IMG_1578.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1539.jpg
    IMG_1539.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1542.jpg
    IMG_1542.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1579.jpg
    IMG_1579.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1543.jpg
    IMG_1543.jpg
    237 KB · Views: 0
  • boat main.bmp
    566 bytes · Views: 0
  • IMG_1535.jpg
    IMG_1535.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 0

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Bumbling: I moved your post from the other topic as it was pretty much a hijack. This will get you some more direct responses to your boat anyway.

A direct answer to your question: If the stringers and the transom are rotted, then "yes" it's possible for all manner of calamity send the boat on the wrong side of the surface. What could happen is a pretty broad scope of messy things.

It's never easy to tell from pictures, but that boat looks pretty sloppy, so being rotted out and needing a complete tear down and rebuild is a real possibility. Sad too, 'cuz it's a cool lookin' old hull.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
What Southkogs said. Set the mechanicals aside for the moment and figure out if the hull is sound. I do agree that it is one cool looking boat, but there's an even chance that it's fodder for the scrap heap.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
regarding the motor - pull the drive. the drive could be siezed. its a 250 cubic inch inline 6. easy to fix or replace it needed.

determine if there is rot. then determine what you want to do with the boat (fix or scrap)

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
Dude thats a sweet boat. You have the mercruiser setup so thats a plus. see all the goo around the bell housing outside at transom, that's a bad sign - sory. Means some one was trying to keep water from rushing in the boat their. My guess is you put that boat on the water, in current condition it fills with water, and you got a problem on your hands. Being a boat owner is a big responsibility. for your safety and others on the water. That being said - your boat is definitely worth restoring- it wont be easy or cheap. But well worth it in the end...... Good luck with her...