Just discovered the new Attwood ventless tanks ..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I bought a new tank a while back ... Put fuel in it and stashed it under my splashwell .. Been sitting for a few weeks . Decided to finally put the boat in tomorrow so in getting thing ready looky there ... The thing is swollen up like a watermelon and stuck under the splash . :lol: Ok no problem just loosen the cap and it will come out ..... Nope , cap tight against the upper bulkhead ... Sooo I had to vent fuel out through the brass line fitting to get it loose ... Guess maybe a qt or so fuel into the bilge and out the boat .. :mad:
What a stupid/problematic design ...:confused:... Luckily I still had an old manual vented cap so I swapped it out ...
Any one else have similar issues with these non-vented tanks ?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I would have vented by hooking up the fuel hose and burning the gas in the motor. :smile:

That's what I do with the second tank I added, but I make sure the tank is oriented so I can hook up the hose. Other than mimicking a :watermelon: the auto vent has worked fine.

How are you going to open the vent with the cap jammed up against the underside of the splashwell?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
It was only jammed up because of the tank being blown up like a balloon ... If I turn it at a different angle it gives me more room . i have a different tank that is not as tall as the new one that works much better .
I think the new cap was not working right .. When I finally rehooked the line up to run the motor the primer bulb would stay collapsed ,,
With the old cap it works fine ..

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I bought a new 6 gal and had the same problem turns out the little ball in the semi hidden vent was stuck.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Throw it in the garbage. Find a late model metal tank and replace any gaskets that might need to be replaced, and it'll last a lifetime.

For that matter, if you have a flitz or other portable gas can (like you might use for your lawnmower) with the no drip spout, throw that out as well.

IMHO plastic cans should be outlawed. The no-drip, no-spil cans cause more spillage than any other can ever did.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Jims123 you are very correct there, I see people getting frustrated with these new pour spout so they remove them and just pour the contents making an even bigger and more dangerous mess. I keep an assortment of pour spouts from old cans so I can replace the newer worthless spouts with ones that work. It is not the plastic container itself, it is the politically correct pour spouts and caps that are the problem.

thumpar

Admiral
I hate the new spouts. They cause more harm than good. I have a couple and they just leak all over the place.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I agree the new pour spouts are a real pita .... It took a relatively easy process and turned it into a struggle ...

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I agree with the pour spouts being crap and the plastic gas tanks. Mine blows up like a balloon too. I used it to replace one (i have two) of my old metal tanks because it was leaking from the fitting. I think i found a repair kit for it and will be fixing it soon :)

airshot

Rear Admiral
Talked to a fellow boater that uses plastic tanks in his boat, he solved the blowup issue by removing the cap and found there was an inner liner like a gasket inside the cap, so he drilled a small hole in the inside liner then drilled a small hole thru the cap in a position so the two holes cannot line up when the cap is closed. Enough vapor/air escapes thru the tiny hole that no blowup takes place. He estimated the small hole to be less than 3/32 in diameter and not being able to line up, no fuel has come out of the hole just air. Claims this has worked all last year without a problem, has done this to both of his tanks. Just a suggestion.........

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If the tank won't vent and blows up tight then you can expect the opposite when you draw fuel out and you'll have a raisin

I had a Attwood tank, it was a messy leaker that was flimsy. Tossed it out and got a 5 Oceans 6 gal tank. Only thing I don't really like is the gauge float assembly is in the cap. Other than that the tank is thicker and made of rigid plastic and won't swell up. The outlet fitting doesn't leak like the Attwood and the filler spout has a moat around it so if you spill when filling it doesn't run down the sides and you can soak up the fuel easily. Once gas has spilled into your boat the chances of it not reeking ever again are pretty slim.

shrew

Lieutenant
I have to agree. I never spilled gas until I starting using the 'No Spill' spouts. I also never used to replace jerry cans until the 'no spill' spouts. The junk rubber gaskets are ridiculous and just get mangled. By the end of the summer, it's leaking.

I think it's a conspiracy by the gas can manufacturing companies to get you to start replacing them once per year, rather than once in a decade or two.

They say the new jerry cans inflating like a balloon in heat and crushing down in the freezing cold is a design feature.

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Hey Shrew you got that right...look at the prices on newer 5 gallon gas cans now...20 bucks each and up! with the lousy spout to boot! Now look closely at the blue kerosene cans...less than half the cost of a red gas can, and the yellow diesel can is still less than the red can. One hell of a conspiracy going on here by the mfgs.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The conspiracy is not the companies, its the freakin government. The intent is to ensure that NO VOCs enter the atmosphere. There simply wasn't enough time for an engineer to design one that worked and met the govt regs too.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have two new 6.6 gallon tanks I used to fill my main 6 gallon one they are ventless. I curse them all the time. I have to refill the main on the water so I end up spilling lots of gas because of the spouts. If there was a better way I would sure go to it. Well unless it is dumb expensive.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have two new 6.6 gallon tanks I used to fill my main 6 gallon one they are ventless. I curse them all the time. I have to refill the main on the water so I end up spilling lots of gas because of the spouts. If there was a better way I would sure go to it. Well unless it is dumb expensive.
Just don't get caught putting gas in the water. That's a Federal fine and it ain't cheep!!!

The spillproof plastic cans for transferring only are still legal in a handful of states. If you have a Blitz can you can still get an old fashioned pour spout because they still make them for those states. While traveling a few years ago (in one of those states) I stopped in a WalMart and bought a half dozen spouts. I have seen them for sale also on EBay. Most won't ship to a restricted state, but there are a few that will.

SkaterRace

Just don't get caught putting gas in the water. That's a Federal fine and it ain't cheep!!!

The spillproof plastic cans for transferring only are still legal in a handful of states. If you have a Blitz can you can still get an old fashioned pour spout because they still make them for those states. While traveling a few years ago (in one of those states) I stopped in a WalMart and bought a half dozen spouts. I have seen them for sale also on EBay. Most won't ship to a restricted state, but there are a few that will.
Gas is only spilled onto the carpet and washed out once home. Not worried about fines. Guess I can always change the spout but I have a feeling that the good ones don't seal enough to place the tanks on their sides.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Gas is only spilled onto the carpet and washed out once home. Not worried about fines. Guess I can always change the spout but I have a feeling that the good ones don't seal enough to place the tanks on their sides.
OMG !!!

Even if the tank is steel made in 1942, I wouldn't even think of placing a tank in a position that the spout wasn't on top next to the air pocket within.

SkaterRace

OMG !!!

Even if the tank is steel made in 1942, I wouldn't even think of placing a tank in a position that the spout wasn't on top next to the air pocket within.
Options are that or only go out with 6 gallons? I think I'll stick with what I got going it is working well no issues or leaks.