Newbie boat buyer, need info

97storm800

Recruit
I'm looking to buy a boat this spring and this will be my first time ever dealing with boats. I'm looking for something reliable easy maintenance and the best bang for my buck. theres lots of good deals around but I don't exactly know what I'm buying. I'm looking for something I can fish, cruise and tow with. Nothing new my budget is about 3000$ max and theres some nice boats for that price in my area. so my biggest questions are, inboard or outboard? fiberglass or aluminum? and whats the minimum HP engine that moves good on the water. and brand...what motors to watch out for and ones to consider. thanks .

produceguy

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Try to take someone that knows a little about boats. First thing to check on any boat is deck and transom. Make sure they are not rotted or soft. Cost lots of money to fix. They should be willing to do a test run on the lake to make sure all is good with motor and or outdrive. Look for sunrotted wires also, that a good indicator if the boat was taken care of.
As far as motor, I like a 6 cylinder, plenty of power for everything you need. I like i/o .
Just find something you like, doesn't matter to me if its glass or tin, as long as it's safe and runs.
Good luck , hope you find something

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard:

What kind of water are ya' gonna' boat on? How many people will you typically have aboard? Fish, cruise and tow -- but what will you mostly be doing? Have you rented anything or been on anything that you really liked?

Your budget is going to limit you some, but it's doable if you're patient. Any particular boats that you're looking at so far?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
For smaller boats
Aluminum generally is safer. The wood is easier to access (usually) for inspection and potential replacement

Aluminum generally needs less power for the same size boat.

Get a compression check on the engine and check the lower end for any signs of bearing or seal problems.

$3k should get a decent appx 14 ft aluminum boat with 30 to 40 hp and trailer if you are looking for something for moderate size lakes or rivers. (bass fishing, running trotlines and similar) Probably not a good boat for saltwater.

97storm800

Recruit
I will mostly be towing and cruising. There are some really nice running 6 seater boats drop n go for under 3gs it was mostly the size of motor and the inboard or outboard thing that o was questioning

southkogs

Staff member
I/O or outboard is mostly a personal thing ... there are advantages and disadvantages to both. I think outboards are a little easier to learn on, but I've found my I/Os to be easier to work on (oddly enough). If you're towing a tube, then nearly anything with some power to it will do depending on how exciting a ride you want. Skiers and wakeboarders are a different deal - you need good power and the right hull to make that happen well.

6 seater under $3k sounds like an older closed bow outboard running something under 100HP. You can pull a tube or skier with no problem, but you'll really only want a couple of people in the boat. Fill all six of those seats up, and it'll start feeling a little cramped (best guess).

airshot

Rear Admiral
Have to agree with the other posters....smart shopping is needed! I would highly recommend finding someone that is boat savy even if you have to slip them a few bucks. I have seen many newbies spend 3000 only to later finding 2000 or more in repairs needed that they were not aware of. In fact many bargain boats cost far more to fix than the boat cost. Boat repair is costly...really costly if you cannot do it your self! A lot of "sin" can be easily covered up in a boat if you don't know what your looking for.

97storm800

Recruit
hmm ok good info. ive been involved in power sports all my life so I'm pretty good at spotting out problems and such. I want one regardless so ill do my best. any more info is greatly appreciated. any motors I should stay away from?

southkogs

Staff member
What kind of water are ya' gonna' boat on? How many people will you typically have aboard? Fish, cruise and tow -- but what will you mostly be doing? Have you rented anything or been on anything that you really liked?
Too many unknowns to suggest much yet. ^^^ What was the boat you were lookin' at?

97storm800

Recruit
Well the first one I found was a 6 seater aluminum 16ft with a 110 evinrude outboard and the guy wanted 1500$ ready to go. But it sold within 3 days . So I'm hunting for something in that range .

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wanted to mention that just because it has 6 seats doesn't mean to can fill them all up with people, you still need to look at the capacity restrictions of the boat. In a 16' 3-4 adults would probably be the max you'd want to fit comfortably. I have a 17' i/o bow rider and we have add 4 adults and 3 small kids in it for the better part of a day and it was comfortable but I wouldn't want to do that all the time.

Make sure to have the engine checked out, and be ready to have a lot of boats sold before you can even see them. It's a busy time of year on the used market, I lost count of how many boats sold the same day they were listed.

meder24

Seaman
I bought a 17' I/O 2 years ago with the 4 cyl. Mercruiser in it. My boat is rated at a max of 7 adults but I have found any more than 5 people makes for not only a crowded ride but also a severe decline in performance.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I bought a 17' I/O 2 years ago with the 4 cyl. Mercruiser in it. My boat is rated at a max of 7 adults but I have found any more than 5 people makes for not only a crowded ride but also a severe decline in performance.

If you start your own three get us your prop size(under the prop nut) and your lightly loaded. wide open throttle(wot) rpm and gps speed.
We may be able to help. There is a new post tab at the top of the prop forum

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Not to be a downer but in my opinion getting a RELIABLE boat that will hold 6 people and costs under $3,000 is next to impossible. You'd have to be looking at something 25 years old or more I would guess.
Stay away from OMC outdrives as they are difficult to get service. Also, Bayliners form the 80's and 90's were poorly constructed. Ask me how I know.

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer
due diligence and lower your expectations 10 fold compared to your budget.

spend some time with tenured owners and their boats

knowledge is power,,,the less you spend to purchase prety much equals the more you will need to invest

best of luck
Lance