Need some help choosing a boat.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Looking for suggestions. Looking for a center console boat around 17?to 18?. Around late 80?s to early 2000?s. Preferable a Semi-Vee hull. Probably a 90hp motor. Something that I can take into 2 feet of water and still take out in the bay. One that can handle 1-3 foot chop. The most that will be in the boat at one time is 4 adults and one child. There are so many makes and models to choose from it makes my head spin. Have been looking at Key West, Aquasport, Carolina skiff and Boston Whaler. Just looking at ads does not give me any idea about capacity. I am sure some of you guys have some ideas.

robert graham

Admiral
All depends on what you want, need, can afford, can haul,etc.....I have a large Jon boat which is light, easy to haul, requires almost no maintenance, very inexpensive initial purchase....I've often thought that some models of pontoon boats give great bang for the buck. Of course Jon boats and pontoon boats asen't generally real pretty or sexy.....I had a beautiful little Checkmate with a big motor and it was fast and nice, but not real functional. So somewhere between functional and beautiful your ideal boat may be. The Boston Whalers have a cult following so may be pretty darn expensive for what you get....great boats, but pricey$$$$.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Basically, I was looking for some tips on specific makes and models that can take care of what I listed in my first post. Late 80's to late 90's or very early 2000's fits my budget. I can tow up to 5000 lbs, but doubt any boat I am looking at will come even close to 5000 lbs.

southkogs

Staff member
Given your descriptions of what you want, Whaler came to mind quickest and Carolina Skiff right behind ... mainly 'cuz of the shallow water part. I've always like Whaler's Montauk. But Robert is right, they're gonna' be pricier.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
when looking for budget boats, there is one very important thing to keep in mind. Check for Rot. The info you need wight, passenger rating HP. Will always be listed on a information tag in boat, unless someone has removed it. Also when looking for Budget boats. The motor will be a very important key feature especially if you plan to go off the coast. I dont know what you have to spend. Sounds like you should be searching for any boat that has less problems compared to a specific boat.

robert graham

Admiral
Basically, I was looking for some tips on specific makes and models that can take care of what I listed in my first post. Late 80's to late 90's or very early 2000's fits my budget. I can tow up to 5000 lbs, but doubt any boat I am looking at will come even close to 5000 lbs.
Key West is a darn good and popular "middle of the road" type boat with a good dealer network for service....not bad to look at either. Carolina Skiffs make some boats that are pretty similar to the Whalers, without the pricetags$$$.....and again, pretty good dealer network. Lots of choices here, so take your time and check them out. If it was me personally, I'd be looking for a freshwater, 2 or 3 year old boat that hasn't been used/abused and let the original buyer take the depreciation....

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
This is what I will be looking at in the next 2-3 days. Ad says 1992 boat and motor, but really both are 1991, but purchased 4/29/1992.
Any comments about the motor? I will use it in fresh and salt water. It doesn't fit my desire for capacity, but I can live with that factor.

http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/boa/5548439991.html

robert graham

Admiral
24 year old outboard motor could be anything from junk to a well used and maintained motor....that's a lot of years.

southkogs

Staff member
I'm a fan of that hull, and a 75 on it won't break any records but it'll getcha' there.

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
wish I could find something like that in my area.....

southkogs

Staff member
If she'll do 25 to 30 mph I will be satisfied.
Best guess ... and it's honestly a guess ... I'd expect with the 75, 30MPH is closer to your top end. Cruise in the low 20s maybe. Someone else may know better, but that would be my expectation.