1974 sea ray, pleasure/fishing?

novasbc

Recruit
I am new here, but have used the sticky topics over the past few months to rule out a number of boats I've gone to look at from Craigslist, which I am very glad for., since I have never owned or operated one.

I've found a boat that is in my price range, passes all the general tests. However, my intended purpose is 60% fishing and 40% pleasure (kids are too young now, but a few years down the road...)

This sea ray doesn't seem well suited to going out for a day on the lake fishing. Is this an accurate assessment? I've been generally looking at ones listed at sub-$2000, and it's tempting with the right price.

However, if it is going to turn out to be annoying to fish from, I'll have to pass.

A little work on a boat is OK, I have plenty of experience in automotive repairs, just not boats. I really am trying to stay away from anything with stringer or transom rot.

Thanks!

Mark

southkogs

Staff member
Welcome aboard Mark:

Give us a little more about the boat. I'm guessing it's a closed bow Sea Ray boat about 18 to 20 feet, but that's just because I see a lot of 'em for sale around here. What type of drive? Outboard or I/O? Etc. Etc.

IMHO ... fish really don't care what you're in when you catch 'em. So, any boat can be a fishing boat. But I don't care for fishing from my bow rider.

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
My Bayliner definitely not the best case for fishing but I really do enjoy the general layout of the boat and everything else about it. Its how its going to work in the long run, eventually you will find the best way to fish from it......here is one I caught just last weekend off the back of my Bayliner

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
I would avoid fiberglass boats just out of general rules.Also I/Os They are more labor intensive.
I wonder about a I/O for under $2000.
Aluminum Outboard Perhaps a Pontoon.
A 18 footer could be trailered and it could be setup like a deck or even a living room that goes on the water.
Perfect for cruising fishing, swimming,vegging.
Imagine the room for what ever layout or activity.
They ride very smoothly ; no pounding in rough weather.You could have 6 or 8 passengers our more.
Take a safe boating course, find a friend that is well acquainted with boats.
I had my first boat when I was 6 years old. 10 ft with a 1 hp outboard.

novasbc

Recruit
Welcome aboard Mark:

Give us a little more about the boat. I'm guessing it's a closed bow Sea Ray boat about 18 to 20 feet, but that's just because I see a lot of 'em for sale around here. What type of drive? Outboard or I/O? Etc. Etc.

IMHO ... fish really don't care what you're in when you catch 'em. So, any boat can be a fishing boat. But I don't care for fishing from my bow rider.

Thanks!

It is a closed bow Sea Ray boat, 20'. It is an inboard/outboard, Ford 302, Mercruiser out drive. I admit, having rebuilt my share of engines, the thought of it being a "common" engine was appealing. Similar to working on the Chevy 350, parts galore (except, you have to go marine for where required).

I would avoid fiberglass boats just out of general rules.Also I/Os They are more labor intensive.
I wonder about a I/O for under $2000.
Aluminum Outboard Perhaps a Pontoon.
A 18 footer could be trailered and it could be setup like a deck or even a living room that goes on the water.
Perfect for cruising fishing, swimming,vegging.
Imagine the room for what ever layout or activity.
They ride very smoothly ; no pounding in rough weather.You could have 6 or 8 passengers our more.
Take a safe boating course, find a friend that is well acquainted with boats.
I had my first boat when I was 6 years old. 10 ft with a 1 hp outboard.

It is indeed an I/O.

I have watched pontoon boats for sale as well, and looked at a couple here and there, that ended up with huge problems, but the type wasn't out of the question. This boat jumped out at me (enough to post here) because of the price, and with a bit of work, I might be able to sell it at some point for more than I put into it. Given that, there is a possibility in the long term, I could use this toward a pontoon boat, which seems to command a higher price for older ones. I must admit that

In the end of the day, my cousin is a boat mechanic out at Canyon Lake here in Texas, so I have someone for in-person advice on repairs (and he liked this particular boat, with the caveat of it not being set up for fishing). He also in general steered me to having an outboard, but thought this particular boat was a good deal given how it looks, and the actual engine that's in it.

novasbc

Recruit
Oh yes, a boating safety class is definitely on the menu should I be able to find something to put out on the lake.

southkogs

Staff member
Okay - you've got an experienced set of eyes on it, so that's a help.

Overall, is it a fishing boat? Nope. The way I watch guys bass fish here in TN, walking all over the casting deck, sittin' on pedestals, etc. ... ya' won't like it. HOWEVER, if you fishing bigger water (i.e. - trolling on the Great Lakes or some big impounds) it's probably not too bad. Sure as heck the family would like cruising in that boat over a bass boat type rig (I see family's cramming on bass boats quite a bit by me).

More of a true dual console or center console boat would probably suit your needs better for a dual purpose boat (heavy to the fishing side).

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I used to have almost the same boat, only it was a 16 footer.. My Dad and I fished in it every weekend. We loved the boat. It satisfied all our needs. The closed bow was awesome for Great Lakes fishing, where the waves often are huge. When my first son was born, the 3 of us went fishing and we all loved it. When my second son was born, we went bigger and bought a bowrider.

My old boat was sold 3 times after I sold it and each time I was able to talk to the new owner. They all claimed is was lousy for fishing, yet in each case there were only 2 people doing the fishing.

Everybody has their own opinion. All I can say is that now the boys are grown and have their own boats, and its just the wife and me, I wish I had that old closed bow 16 footer back again.

Maclin

Admiral
Regarding the engine that is in it, that is not the best choice. Ford engine parts are not as available as the GM counterparts, a GM based MerCruiser would be a better choice in my opinion. MerCruiser has not used Ford engines in a long time.

novasbc

Recruit
Regarding the engine that is in it, that is not the best choice. Ford engine parts are not as available as the GM counterparts, a GM based MerCruiser would be a better choice in my opinion. MerCruiser has not used Ford engines in a long time.

Thanks, this was not obvious to me.

Alumarine

Captain

Yes, this.
Not knocking Ford's but in the I/O world GM is the much better choice for marine specific part availability.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
And I hope you've investigated the hull for rotten wood, most boats of that age are total gut and rebuild projects, they aren't a way of getting on the water quick and cheap. If it has rotten wood (most likely) it will be a time consuming and pricy project that won't be water ready until next year.