1967 Marinette 28' Cabin Cruiser: Should I buy?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Thanks everyone. I'm glad I've got somewhere to go to ask questions.

So in true ADD form (for me)... what are your opinions on jet boats? Specifically a SeaDoo 110 Challenger with a new motor. Rotax. I'm not sure if it's 2 or 4 stroke. Yeah, I know it's night and day different from a 28' cruiser...
I'm going to give you an analogy....

My 1980 Pontiac Bonneville does have electronic ignition, but it has NO computer, a carburetor and this big engine under the hood with nothing else. Lots of room to work on it. I would compare that to the Marinette. Buying that old cruiser wouldn't bother me a bit. My only fear would be backing it up, since I've been there done that with a 26 footer with the same configuration.

OTOH, I also have experience with SeaDoos, both 2 and 4 stroke.

I'd take the Marinette in a heartbeat, but you couldn't give the the Challenger for free.

southkogs

Staff member
The bigger, older and more complicated a boat is, the more a survey is 'worth it' regardless of the selling price. I'd spring for it if the owner was only asking $1K.
That's more than I would know ... but makes sense.

I've never been impressed with the jet boats. I like my bow rider, and I'd be fine looking at some deck boats or a dual console. If it wasn't for how hot it gets down here, a cuddy might let ya' stay on it for a day or two ... but without AC the inside is gonna' be an oven during the summer.

matthewwatts

Cadet
I'm going to try and go meet the guy about the Marinette sometime this week provided I am able to get away from work.

And southkogs you better believe if I get that boat it'll have AC.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
And southkogs you better believe if I get that boat it'll have AC.

Doesn't look like it has AC now, so factor that into your purchase cost. If you plan to jury rig a household unit, or buy one of those AC's that sit in the forward hatch you can do it pretty cheap. If you plan to install true marine AC, you can figure $6K minimum to have the job done. I installed my own, all by myself... took a month of planning and about another month to put it all together, including a second 30-amp service dedicated to the AC. Cost me about $3500.

My .02

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
just remember, as your contemplating buying it today, someone was contemplating buying it yesterday. the Marinette is a great deal on a good classic. if interested, pull the trigger and buy it before someone else does.