1967 Marinette 28' Cabin Cruiser: Should I buy?

matthewwatts

Cadet
Hello friends. I need some sage advice. I've been wanting a Marinette ever since I first laid eyes on one... that being last summer. I want a nice sized boat that my family and I can get out and enjoy on the weekends and even stay over night if we want. The idea of an aluminum hulled vessel really appeals to me as I've read they're nearly indestructible and don't require too much maintenance as far as worrying about cracking, etc. While browsing Craigslist I came across this ad:

http://nashville.craigslist.org/boa/5524776223.html

As you can see it's pretty much all new except for top paint and "TLC" needed inside. I spoke with the owner (haven't seen it yet) and says that the TLC is more of just dated interior and usual wear for a boat that is nearly 50 years old. The motor is a Chevy 350 (two years old) and has a new Velvet drive transmission.

Am I crazy for wanting this?! What should I be on the look out for?

Thanks!

Maclin

Admiral
"Am I crazy for wanting this?"

Probably! But that was almost a forgone conclusion since you are already a boat owner :)

Sounds good, looks ok, seems like an honest enough ad and seller. Good place to start looking, also good place to start not falling in love!

It is a lot different boat than what you have now, right? Whole different boating experience than the typical trailer-boater day at the lake.

No trailer so do you plan to keep it slipped somewhere? Maybe on the same body of water?

Verify all claims made by the seller, and anything else you can think of while researching.

southkogs

Staff member
For $5k ... on Center Hill Lake? Yeah, I'd go take a look at it.

matthewwatts

Cadet
Maclin:
It is totally different than what I had (that's the operative word). Last season I had a little ski boat that was not only a money pit (more so than I think a boat would normally be) and was good about stranding me far out from civilization. Not to mention my little girl didn't get much enjoyment out of it because she couldn't get up and move around on it. I would keep it in a slip close to home. Different lake than what I kept my old boat at (the ski boat staying in a slip all summer so I didn't have to truck it back and forth) but in the same general vicinity.

Southkogs:
What lake do you normally go to? This boat is at Pates Ford and the guy can transfer the slip. Seems like a good buy...

southkogs

Staff member
Condition is key in buying a used boat. The pictures vs. price on this one make it worth looking at, but pictures don't tell you everything. Get on board and poke around really carefully. On a boat that big, a survey is generally a good idea, but I'm not sure it's worth it on the $5k price tag ... but that makes it a risk, y'know?

Plus ya' gotta' slip it, maintain it and feed it all year. It's gonna' be hungrier (on all three accounts) than your ski boat was.

I'm on Priest mostly (outta' Fate Sanders typically). I live in Murfreesboro, so it's a quick, easy trailer ride to go out for a few hours at a time. When we wanna' do a full day somewhere we'll go out to Center Hill or Normandy (usually). But I've been out on Dale Hollow and Tim's Ford a few times too.

I've not been as far south on Center Hill as Pates Ford. I've gone in up by Sligo and Johnson Chapel more often (we get a kick out of boating up by Fancher's Water Fall).

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I always loved the Marinettes as well. In my area there are quite a few of the 60's vintage models still being used. All still look pristine. Not my cup of tea (straight inboard, requiring frequent painting, etc.) but if i wanted that type of cruiser that would be one I would look at.

Just remember, lots of painting to do, lots of maintenance (associated with an inboard) and dockage fees.

My area has quite a few boathouses. All are owned - not rentals. I know of at least 3 1967 cruisers that are boathouse kept year round, and other than bottom paint, they are all original.

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
My slip neighbor had a Marinette 28 in pristine condition that he used regularly. He sold it a few years ago and the new owners had a terrible time docking that boat in any kind of breeze because of the single engine. They sold it within 3 months! Moral of the story: 'If you buy it, you gotta learn how to run it'.

One of my friends has a 1972 Marinette 32. While looking dated, it does have a good layout and the boat is SOLID (no wood in the hull, stringers or cap). One potential issue with aluminum boats kept in the water is galvanic corrosion. All Marinettes were sold with meters that show the boats electrical potential. If not right, the hull can actually start pitting. Also, they need a special type of bottom paint made for aluminum.

As far as maintenance, a straight shaft inboard is waaaay less complex than a stern drive and simpler to maintain (from an owner of both types).

matthewwatts

Cadet
Southkogs:
You aren't too far away from me. I'm in Smith County. We stay up at Defeated (Cordell Hull) mostly. It's a 10 minute drive from my office. Can't beat it. The slip fee for Center Hill is $45 more a month than what I paid for here. The fuel and slip fees don't worry me as much as upkeep... I had no idea that painting it would have to be done so much.

I'm glad I asked you all about it.

Any other recommendations? I really would like a bigger boat that I can stay the weekend on. But maybe I should just keep looking...

southkogs

Staff member
There's several of us Tennessean's in the forum ... I haven't been up on Cordell Hull yet (for the zillion times I pass by it). This state has so many great waterways, and you really don't have to go too far from home to find 'em.

I've not made the leap to a cruiser like the one you're looking at because I didn't think I'd get the use out of it enough to justify the maintenance and the expense. Trailer boating seems to fit my lifestyle a little better, and I can rent a bigger boat when I think I'll use it. I wouldn't be afraid of a bigger boat, just go into it eyes wide open.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Hey matt. I'm in manchester we do normandy and tims and farther south on the river. We bough a big boat down in guntersville and tho happy we sold it i wouldnt trade those 5 years for anything. Do it. For 5 grand it's a done deal if you feel good about the current owner once you meet him.

matthewwatts

Cadet
The big thing that worries me is that with my last boat it seemed like it spent more time in the shop than on the water. Okay... so it did. That thing was a pile of junk. But... I could at least haul it to the guy. With this monster the guy will have to come there...

seldomseen

Cadet
I owned a 1972 sedan cabin , fly bridge 32 ft Marinette 1996 to 2004. it had been in salt water and the hull was pitted. A sandblasting followed by a barrier coat of epoxy fixed it. The twin 318 V8's were very difficult to access. A single engine layout should be much better.

southkogs

Staff member
The big thing that worries me is that with my last boat it seemed like it spent more time in the shop than on the water. Okay... so it did. That thing was a pile of junk. But... I could at least haul it to the guy. With this monster the guy will have to come there...
I think with any boat you have to accept a level of responsibility to maintenance time. My '72 kept me in the garage quite a bit, but even in getting the 2002 I now have put the way I want it (and maintenance) I'm still in the garage with it - not as much, of course.

Bigger the boat, the more amenities and systems ... the more will have to be maintained. That's just a reality that doesn't matter too much to how old or well built the boat is. Many people who get into bigger boats are not prepared for that reality, and it catches them WAY off guard.

Assuming this cruiser is in good shape and regularly safe to run, $5k is a cheap price of admission to learn how expensive (time, effort and money) the rest of the deal is. The question I'd be asking is can I afford two years of living with this beast to figure out if I want to put up with all of that? If it's money and energy you can risk, this boat looks like a reasonable risk. If I thought I'd use it enough to justify the work, I'd look at it to try out.

If I could get to a point where I could telecommute from the lake here in Nashville ... :cool:

matthewwatts

Cadet
Telecommute is the stuff. It's about the only perk of being in IT. Ha!

I'm not sure if this is something I should take on right now. The more I think about it the more it seems like it could end up a major headache for me. Especially considering I have ZERO technical knowledge when it comes to motors, etc. Nothing would make me more mad than having a money pit... and I know most all boats are like that.

thdrduck

Seaman Apprentice
If that baby was closer to me... I'd be on it like white on rice. Lots of boat for 5k and once you learn to run a specific inboard it's hard to go back.

roffey

Commander

I know exactly what you mean. My first two boats constantly were breaking down, strangely never left me out on the water tho. Most marinas here have a full time $hop. The craigslist mentioned he had replaced and lot of the big stuff. like motor, fuse box .....

From experience I can tell you there is a difference between a 20 footer and a 26 footer. I needed two people to launch the 26 footer and can easily launch my 20 footer.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
On a boat that big, a survey is generally a good idea, but I'm not sure it's worth it on the $5k price tag ... but that makes it a risk, y'know?

The bigger, older and more complicated a boat is, the more a survey is 'worth it' regardless of the selling price. I'd spring for it if the owner was only asking $1K.

My .02

matthewwatts

Cadet
Thanks everyone. I'm glad I've got somewhere to go to ask questions.

So in true ADD form (for me)... what are your opinions on jet boats? Specifically a SeaDoo 110 Challenger with a new motor. Rotax. I'm not sure if it's 2 or 4 stroke. Yeah, I know it's night and day different from a 28' cruiser...