Fixed vs. Floating Docks - Pros/Cons?

Bubba Buoy

Cadet
So for general perspective... Why do fixed dock guys prefer them? And why do floating dock guys prefer theirs?

When looking at marinas on Lake Erie and St. Clair this spring, I've seen marinas advertising the fact that their docks are fixed, and others highlighting the fact that theirs float...both make it sound like theirs is the way to go. I realize both are fine, just wondering how iboat-ers see the advantages of one or the other.

Thanks from a greenhorn!

shrew

Lieutenant
I've stored my boat in fixed docks for many seasons and floating docks for many seasons. If you're in a tidal area, then depending on the tide swing (feet of rise and fall), fixed docks can be an issue. They don't tend to use floating docks where there is a lot of wave action. On fixed docks you tend to tie lines to the pilings. On floating docks you tend to tie lines to the hardware bolted to the dock. The width of the slips on fixed docks tends to be wider. some fixed docks will rely on a ladder on the side of the dock to climb to the boat. (this depends on how high they are and water level fluctuations).

In my area, floating docks are more money, while fixed docks tend to be more economical.

After having both, he Admiral insists on floating docks.

Last edited:

roffey

Commander
In my area the water level goes down in the fall. As much as 5 feet. The only way is a floating dock. Personally I would think a floating dock would be just better. The dock floats with your boat.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I agree, the stability of the water level is the big question, in yer question,....

My water level varies by several feet over the course of the season, so a floatin' dock makes it easier gettin' into or out of the boat,...

MI_Pirate

Seaman Apprentice
Our marina has floating docks. I prefer them. Once you set your lines the way that you want them you are done. There is no need to tighten or loosen lines as the tide rises and falls.Your boat will always sit at the same height relative to the dock. The swim platform of my boat is about 2" above the dock. It stays that way all the time. I never have to step down or up to get on the boat. This has proven to be very useful when taking out guests that are elderly, injured, or have otherwise limited mobility. I have had an amputee who uses crutches on my boat several times. We never had any problems getting her on or off of the boat at any place with a floating dock, but on more than one occasion we had to physically carry her to get her on board at a fixed dock because the deck was too high or low relative to the dock. .

So. I would recommend at least trying it out for a season to see if it really makes a difference to you.

roffey

Commander
Once you set your lines the way that you want them you are done. There is no need to tighten or loosen lines as the tide rises and falls.Your boat will always sit at the same height relative to the dock..

I do the same. I tie it up once and leave the lines on the dock and just unhook from the boat. I tie my bumpers to the lines so all I have to do is attach the lines to the boat and I am good to go. I have a spare sets of lines in the boat along with bumpers if I decide to tie up some where else.

RGrew176

Commander
I prefer floating docks. You tie your lines and pretty much forget it. I am located in Bolles Harbor off Lake Erie. Strong winds can cause water levels to rise or fall depending on the wind direction. It can and has fluctuated as much as 10'. Last year a fellow club member had his boat damaged severely when strong north-east winds caused his boat to float up above the dock poles. When the winds died down and water levels dropped his boat got hung up on the dock pole and it separated the upper deck from the hull, he missed most of the last half of the season getting repairs done.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
My town has a 'fixed' dock at their ramp. Not good at all to use for boating, only good to fish from. Floating docks are the only way to go, in my opinion :)

samuel joff

Cadet
In my area the water level goes down in the fall. As much as 5 feet. The only way is a floating dock. Personally I would think a floating dock would be just better. The dock floats with your boat.

I have the same situation and issue. So, I think floating dock is much better.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The tide in my area of NJ changes about 1 foot, on normal days. Moon tides are a bit more. We all have fixed docks.

Fixed docks stand up to waves and storms, and do not get pulled in the winter. I do use an ice eater to protect the pilings from being pulled up by the ice.

Near the inlet, floating docks are necessary since the tide changes 3-4 feet.

roffey

Commander
In my area the ice will take out everything. Anything in the water gets pulled before freeze up.