New project would like some information

hello guys first post on this forum. this week i picked up a 10 ft speed boat that needs some work. it has a canada tag on it that states the manufacturer was
INT'L FIBERGLASS and the model is a BLAZER. it says it is exempt from a max hp rating and no weight capacity. the boat looks similar to a GW invader that i have found on youtube but i tried looking up this model/brand and have come up empty handed. i need to source a motor for it, the previous owner never had a motor on it but he said the owner he got it from had a 50 merc on it? seems like a lot of motor for a small boat. also curious to know the max weight load the boat can have. thanks! i have no pics yet

thumpar

Admiral
I think if he is talking about a 50hp the boat would sink. My guess is 5hp. You could probably throw a 9.9hp on there but that would be the limit in my opinion.

roffey

Commander
I found this on a web site so I can't vouch for its accuracy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Multiply length x width at the transom.

2 If Length x Width is.........then max hp is
.........0 - 35.......................3
.......36-39........................5
.......40-42........................7....
.......43-45........................10
......46-52.........................15

3. Except flat-bottomed hard-chined boats use the next lower rating.

4. If length x width is greater than 52, use this formula:
.......Length x Width x 2 minus 90, rounded up to the next multiple of 5.
............Example: my boat is 15.5 feet by 5.5 feet. 15.5 x 5.5 = 82.25 x 2 = 170.5 - 90 = 80.5
...................the rating plate reads "85 hp".

5. Except if the transom is less than 20" high *or* the motor is tiller steered, in which case:
..........Length x Width x 0.8 minus 25, rounded up to the next multiple of 5.

Alumarine

Captain
I've seen a bunch of small 2 seater fiberglass boats with 50 mercs on them.
My neighbour had one for years. It worked well for the type of boat.

Let's see a picture.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Depending on the hull you can get away with a 50 but it sure will have some kick to it so be fair warned.

LSU

Cadet
My answer would be "yea, you can put a 50 Merc on it but is that a good idea?"

If you're going to insure it check with you agent before you buy a motor. Overpowering a boat may make it uninsurable.

I think a 50 is big for this boat but I see guys with a Bass boats with 225 hung on them.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
There were many small boats made for motors in the 40-50 hp range, they aren't that uncommon, and they handled it fine. Like any other watercraft, just be aware of what you're doing. If you want insurance it can be purchased (that's another big fallacy), just tell the insurance company what you have, not every company may cover you, but most will. And since your hull say it's exempt from a HP rating it shouldn't be illegal anywhere. (Some locations use the Coast Guard recommend HP for the law, but there is no law saying the CG rule needs to be followed at the federal level).

Post a pic so we have a better idea of hat you have.

heres a pic of my boat. needs some fibreglass work but other then that its pretty good.

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 0

thumpar

Admiral
Now that I see the picture it looks like it was made for something in the 40 or so HP range. I was expecting a little fishing boat when you posted 10'.