Battery Charger Recommendation

wakerider09

Seaman
I have a 25' Doral 250SE with two batterys, a cranking battery (10000 cranking amps) and a deep cycle house battery (105 reserve minutes), I currently run a 900W amplifier two 4 6.5" coaxial speakers and one 10" sub; other than running my stereo a day on the water doesn't consist of much more as far as draw off the battery goes.

My battery charger just died on me, it is a Xantrex Multi-Stage Battery Charter 40+ amp.... i'm considering replacing it with a Minn Kota Digital on-board marine battery charger providing 20amp.... any thoughts on if the Minn Kota will do the job, or should I go with another Xantrex?

Thanks.

alldodge

Staff member
I'm amazed the Xanterx died, most last.
But to your question, a 20 amp 2 bank battery charger is basically two 10 chargers. IMO10 amp is good for someone which goes out for the day, comes back and goes out again in 2 to 3 days. Your motor will most likely keep your start battery up, its the house battery. I see a 40 amp is the minimum, larger is better

wrench 3

Commander
I have a total of 550 reserve capacity on my deep cycles and a 10 amp charger. If I run them down to about 50% a one day charge will bring them back up.