Good price, good boat/motor, good purchase?

jessb_55

Seaman
Hello Everyone-
I'm looking at upgrading from a 1981 Alumacraft Classic with a 35 hp Evinrude to a 1992 Pro V with a 2001 4 stroke Johnson outboard. Couple questions, I believe the Pro V's are solid, but my Dad is a little leery of the engine as he said that usually you don't see a 4 stroke that big. And is wondering if this is a good motor. I apologize I don't know the model of it as I'm waiting to hear back from the seller.

Also I'm a bit concerned about the relatively big jump in weight between the two boats. I think my Chevy Colorado could handle the tow but am guessing the package will probably be up around 1300-1500 lbs were right now it's probably around the 900 lb range? Also we live on a busy street with a short driveway so not a lot of room to back the boat into the driveway, etc so we normally turn the boat around by hand, that being said is the increased weight going to make "spinning" the boat around a huge undertaking as well?

Last but not least the boat is priced at $4,500 and I have about a 4 hour drive to get it?

I would appreciate anyone's thought or advice, as always this forum has been great :)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
You didn't say what hp Johnson. Nowadays, 4 strokers are in all the lineups (smallest to largest) of most mfgrs......gets around the EPA environmental issues. E Tech which comes from the company that bought out OMC, your vintage maker is strong on the 2 stroker vs 4's and I know that Merc and Yammie for 2 have both in their lineup in their biggest engines.

One thing I have always said about boats: Too small on the water and too big off. Food for thought!

jessb_55

Seaman
Hi Texasmark,thanks for the response!
My bad, the Johnson is a 60 hp. I feel dumb but I'm not sure I understand what you mean with your food for thought :{

Any other thoughts on this boat "package"

Thanks!

82rude

Rear Admiral
Boats are not nearly as big looking when their in the water vs out of the water close up.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
I'm pretty sure that Johnson four strokes are just rebranded Suzuki engines.

jessb_55

Seaman
Ah got ya, thanks for the clarification :)

Is that a good or bad thing if they are just rebranded Suzuki engines?

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
i have heard good things about Suzuki but have not tried one personally.

82rude

Rear Admiral
No your not out to lunch.Fourstroke motors run the full range of outboard motor sizes ,from the smallest to the largest.

roffey

Commander
No your not out to lunch.Fourstroke motors run the full range of outboard motor sizes ,from the smallest to the largest.

Thanks Rude, thought I was losing it, LOL. I'll go back to work now, the boss is coming......

jessb_55

Seaman
hi everyone, well the boat i was looking at sold within a day after me posting so I guess it wasn't meant to be but I appreciate the info, and apparently my Dad has just been out of the "outboard" game too long in terms of thinking the 4 strokes were only in the smaller HP's ;)